ATSC compatible dongle? and oscilloscope question

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.

Would you buy a <$100 (US) SDR which had >6MS/s and supported ATSC/QAM decoding?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
only if I could be sure it worked with free software for both options
No votes
if it was less than $50(US)
No votes

Total votes: 1

pingpong2012

ATSC compatible dongle? and oscilloscope question

Post by pingpong2012 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Does SDR#, gnu-radio, etc, work with any ATSC/QAM compatible devices? "Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 750 USB" seems like one that'd be nice. I'm not asking that the computer do ANY construction of the ATSC/QAM stream, just that a USB dongle can be used as an SDR device and an ATSC/QAM tuner, even if it meant loading different drivers.

From what I've gathered, only SD could be picked up currently, as most HD signals are 3+ megasamples/second. Most are USB 2.0 which one forum post I saw says is the cause of the sample limit.

Since I don't have an SDR radio currently this question might seem stupid: Can an SDR be used as a simple oscilloscope? I'm not worried about the amplitude range, but it looked like all the software was plotting data on a frequency domain, not time. I did see raw data could be gathered, which is what makes SDR-compatible software possible, yet all the interfaces I saw were spectrum analyzers.

The DTU-215 USB-2 VHF/UHF Modulator can do ATSC/QAM, but it costs like $2,000. The bladerf is >$400. I think I saw a few PCIe cards which were at least >$150, if not thousands. The sidekiq looks cool but is brand new and not really available, and is probably expensive.

I put a poll on, for my sake I suppose, to get a feel of what people would think of a compatible SDR.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: ATSC compatible dongle? and oscilloscope question

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:56 am

Unforuneately, the only dongles with the RTL2832U chip will work for SDR, and that chip was designed for DVB-T.

The rtl-sdr compatible dongles can decode DVB-T (that is what they were originally designed for). In SDR mode they can decode PAL/NTSC though only in black and white because its bandwidth isn't large enough. USB 2.0 isn't the sample rate limit, the hackrf is USB 2.0 and has a 20 MHz bandwidth.

There are plugins for SDR# that allow a small oscilloscope display of the signal, see Scopeview at http://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdrsharp-plugins/.

ffxx68

Post by ffxx68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi - I'm new here, but I was interested about the use of the SDR as a true oscilloscope.
Having 2+ Msamples/sec makes it useful for up to about 100KHz signals, or even more.
I noticed the audio scope plugin, but an oscilloscope is a bit more than that: you would need at least a variable threshold trigger (for periodic signals) and an adjustable time scale...
Could any software do that?
Any limitation from hardware (e.g. input filters) or drivers?

thanks
Fabio

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm

I still havn't seen any project where the RTL-SDR has been used as a true oscillioscope.

The Red Pitya is probably the thing you need if you want a SDR oscillioscope at the moment.