Ok what am i doing wrong

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
scalradio

Ok what am i doing wrong

Post by scalradio » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:00 am

I am new at this and I follow the direction and this is what I get everytime. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (126.97 KiB) Viewed 14473 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Ok what am i doing wrong

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 am

Hmm, try reinstalling the drivers through zadig and trying other USB ports on your PC, or another PC. Some USB 3.0 ports might cause trouble. Also try using it without USB extension cables.

If it still doesn't work, you might have received a defective dongle and should ask for a replacement. I think the chances of receiving a bad dongle is about 1-3% so it's not that uncommon.

scalradio

Post by scalradio » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I have tried diffent usb port and one a diffent computer. I have also tried it on a diffent program. When I put the plug out of the port I do not get the same massage.

scalradio

Post by scalradio » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:25 pm

ok I reorder the ant part

Mrbuffles

Post by Mrbuffles » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm having the same problem. I've tried two dongles in my laptop. They both get the same error messages. In SDR Sharpo I get "Cannot Access RTL Device".. In HDSDR I get "DLL not active" or "No DLL file installed in HDSDR directory" bla blah something like that. My machine has only USB 3.0 ports. The instructions say I must use USB 2.0 ports. Is there a workaround for this issue? Any other thoughts? I've probably tried installing 35 times as a guess. I've been working on it for months. The Genius who turned me onto this and has supposedly installed many of these devices said.. "Oh, I've never seen that before" after he went on a tirade about being a network engineer for thirty years and how he knows everything about everything etc. etc. Blah Blah...
Please send me the magic key because I'm getting tired of this.
I just want to see my radio signals. Is that too much to ask?
Thanks Mrbuffles

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Hmmm unfortunately, it seems that some USB 3.0 controllers are just buggy and don't play nice with several devices, including the RTL-SDR. I've never seen a laptop with only USB 3.0, so it might be a case of bad luck for now. I'll update this thread or make a post on the blog if I ever hear about a fix for this.

Maybe you could try update your USB drivers? Could you perhaps try it on Linux? Also verify on another PC that it is not the dongle itself that is faulty?

Mrbuffles

Post by Mrbuffles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:43 pm

I've tried with another dongle on my machine and same problem. I've tried with another machine which I believe has 2.0 ports. NoGo.
Last night I tried Extracting the DLL file instead of copying it to the HDSDR folder. The 7Zip extractor hangs at about 90% and never finishes extracting. I left it running all night and this morning it was still hung at 91% with a number of errors listed. Just copying the DLL file didn't seem to work. In my experience, directives to copy are sometimes meant to be extracted. Am I wrong here?

jonnycat

Post by jonnycat » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 am

I installed Win7 to a partition on my machine so I could play with SDR#, and I had this problem as well. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it for me, but I did download a more up to date version of the software, and I also ran the downloader/installer from my "Users" area. My suspicion was that it was a permissions error, but not being a Windows guy that was the best guess I could come up with (I already knew that my dongle worked, because I can use it in GQRX in Linux).

Try running the rtl_test.exe application and see what that tells you.

Mrbuffles

Post by Mrbuffles » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks Jonny Cat..
I'll try this tonite and let you know what happens.

Mrbuffles

Post by Mrbuffles » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Hey Jonnycat,
I got SDR# working last night!!
I reinstalled everything in safe mode a few times and only after I switched back to normal mode I got it working.
I had given up on this for a while and I thought I'd give it a shot again. I'm glad I did.
Thanks Chris