TETRA Trunk Tracker for use with SDR# and TETRA Demodulator plug-in

Show off any of your RTL-SDR or cheap SDR related projects.
Remon

Re: TETRA Trunk Tracker for use with SDR# and TETRA Demodulator plug-in

Post by Remon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Thank you for testing.

This IQ base band sample was just for testing if the volume got louder at your setup. Due to the crashing recording plugin I wasn't able to make a recording to catch the behaviour described at scenario 3 in my long post in this thread. However TTT is also suppressing those calls (good job!).

I found this regarding Net Remote on GitHub:
Method Attribute

For the Get and Set commands the method can be one of the following:

AudioGain - Volume <25-60>
AudioIsMuted - Mute <true|false>
Is it maybe possible to push the boundaries by editing Net Remote to go outside these values? I'm not sure if it will affect the SDR# volume. It can maybe even cause a crash..

thewraith2008

Post by thewraith2008 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:49 am

The 'Net Remote' plug-in (or any plug-in for that matter) can only do what SDR# plug-in interface allows it to do.

If SDR# says volume range is 25-60, then that's all there is to it.

thewraith2008

New update

Post by thewraith2008 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:52 am

This is the forth release of this program. (TETRA Trunk Tracker v0.99.7)
And third release for (TETRA Trunk Tracker v0.99.7s - Simple)

I Have created a SX version which adds SDS GPS locations plotting in DSDPlus LRRP program.
This is very experimental as is why is is separate. But is the same as "Simple".
Normal version does not have it yet and will depend on demand for it.
Read "TTT_SDS_test_version_usage.pdf"
Let me know if it works for you. Send me a screenshot via PM. (I don't receive SDS Location PDUs here)

It is in alpha stage. This means is may contain errors that may cause issues with the other programs it
works with. i.e. crashing them or itself. Although I'm not seeing this.

If SDR# is crashing when 'Demodulator' is enabled, it's because you have not set-up the plug-in correctly.
You MUST do this 1st. This is NOT TETRA Trunk Trackers fault.

You generally need to get these installed:
"Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 (Offline Installer)"
"Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (Offline Installer)"
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable" and install both 32/64 bit versions (if you use 64 bit OS)

The TETRA plug-in currently(?) been developed by TSSDR is also in early development. Because of this
any changes made in plug-in releases most likely will break this program.

Two versions are available:
  • Normal (Uses 2 SDR# and 2 Dongles)
  • Simple (Uses 1 SDR# and 1 Dongles with some features not available)
This version is more of a bug fix:
  • See 'changelog.txt' for details
  • Seems the 64bit Net Remote plug-in does not work, so I removed it. Just use the 32 bit version.
Has been tested on Windows 7 - Professional SP1 (32 bit), English
Has been tested on Windows 10 - ? (64 bit)

The more people that report what their OS is that they got TETRA Trunk Tracker working in, the better. I can add to list.
(Is it Windows 7,8,10 - Basic, Home, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise - 32/64 bit)

I have created it to suit my needs. And it currently works for me with the TETRA network I monitor.

I make no claim that it will work for other networks.

Please read the provided files for set-up and usage:
  • TTT_set-up_manual.pdf
  • TTT_Features_and_Usage.pdf
I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documentation to explain usage and features.
I believe any questions can be answered by reading these files.
These files most likely are not complete and contain errors and are not laid out as good as they could be.

It only works with the provided TETRA plug-in supplied in zip. (2018-June-06).
This version uses a custom compiled version of 'Net Remote' supplied in zip

It is only meant to be a temporary solution until something better comes along.

Hopefully all goes well for you setting it up.

Download link

MD5 HASH cafc8eadbb74d221fe9f50f886e7594c

Here is a short video showing another test with LRRP using some fabricated TETRA SDS PDUs. A lap around Bahrain Grand Prix circuit.

Remon

Post by Remon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm not sure how I fixed it (probably a reboot or hide encrypted data option) but I don't hear the encrypted voice on low volume anymore. :)

Something else I noticed: TTT is setting the WFM bandwidth to 26 kHz, while I see people around the internet mentioning or advising 25 kHz, 40 kHz, 48 kHz, etc. Either of those setting work for me but sometimes when the frequency drifts a little bit decoding weak signals becomes more difficult. What about making it a little bit wider or customizable?

digiman

Post by digiman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 am

Works really well! few small quirks here and there but all in all this works really well.

digiman

Post by digiman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:03 am

Hey, would it be possible to either change or add an additional compact mode layout ?

I mocked the following up which I think would be nice. I would like to have a "Keep on top" checkbox also, that way while I am browsing away on my computer I can have a look at who's talking at a glance.

thewraith2008

Post by thewraith2008 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:18 am

digiman wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 am
Works really well! few small quirks here and there but all in all this works really well.
Would be interested to know what the quirks (maybe bugs) are that you refer to.
digiman wrote: I would like to have a "Keep on top" checkbox also...
I have added this to compact mode for next release.

At the moment I'm focusing on making sure all the features are working as intended.

I do like your mock up window though. I find most SSI users are dynamic so labels end up being incorrect all the time and you just end up not assign them which means only the SSI number would be displayed.
GSSI are not much better, as most are unknowns.

All ways room for improvement.

digiman

Post by digiman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 am

To be very honest I think these are more of a TSSR plugin issue but I will explain anyway...
Would be interested to know what the quirks (maybe bugs) are that you refer to.
They are almost hard to explain.. I will try as best I can..

So, My CC is used for Voice, this is not a problem as TTT picks this up as a call but every now and then I can hear a voice coming through my speakers and can see the call taking place withing TSSRs plugin so i turn up the volume and low and behold there is a call taking place that TTT did not pick up on but this does not seem to be feeding through to Net Info so I would say this is a TSSR issue rather than a TTT issue,, now this seldom happens so it is quite hard for me to catch this to make a video of it.

Another one is.. I see a call initiating then I hear Control saying something along the lines of "Thank you for sending those details"... It seems I missed the start of a call somewhere ? again, possibly a TSSR issue.

Also, I have quite a few control channels, I would say probably 4 or 5.. I would be listening to a very busy network then all of a sudden it goes quiet, I then go to another control channel which is busy then it seems to go quiet also, is this some sort of tetra feature or something, could this be tracked to change to different control channels based on the amount of activity ?
I find most SSI users are dynamic so labels end up being incorrect all the time and you just end up not assign them which means only the SSI number would be displayed.
The networks I follow do seem to hold the SSI Numbers, I have a list of SSI Labels I have used since way back in the SQ5BPF telive days which are all still in use. The GSSI labels are all static to me as well so if I label it it does not change which is good.

I look forward to seeing the new compact mode. my eyesight isn't great so nice big labels will be great :)

Thanks for all the work you've put into this so far, it really has sparked my interest in SDR again :)

EDIT : When I say I can hear a call, I sometimes get the same thing as Remon with encrypted voice coming through at a very low volume, this is happening also with clear voice but is not being picked up by TTT.

thewraith2008

Post by thewraith2008 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:10 pm

The issue with the plug-in is it reacts only to "D_TX_Grant" and "D_TX_Ceased" PDUs.
This will play anything is sees, which may be through connect call. (Half the conversation).
That is a call that originated on another location (LA) and a SSI in this LA is set-up to join that call.
If the same happens in reverse, you would hear a two sides of a call as normal.

There is no D_Setup PDU for it on this LA. (but there is D_Connect PDUs)
TETRA Trunk Tracker only listens for D_Setup PDUs. And that is why you don't hear all the traffic that is on the carrier.

Missing 1st part of call to "Thank you for sending those details" could be as described above or it could have been a text message or something that was send to that SSI.

I'm don't sure about and CC shifting (like DMR Cap+) and if it's used . I'm sure MCCH would hold this information, as the MS must be informed about the change to keep track.

I have been working on exposing more of the PDU elements in the plug-in with the hope of added more features to TTT.
I was hoping to add some AGC to the plug-in audio to deal with the shrill of the mainly female voices I hear sometimes.

Both plug-in and TETRA Trunk Tracker have there limits.
I'm limited because of the plug-in and the plug-in is limited because it has stalled in development.
The nature of SDR.

oscarhsu84727

Post by oscarhsu84727 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 pm

I can't download it.....
Mega always show 'Temporary error, retrying.".
Can anyone help me to download the file.
Thank you!