Any good full-duplex SDRs?

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
Ben321

Any good full-duplex SDRs?

Post by Ben321 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Even HackRF is still only half-duplex (can only transmit or receive at a given time). Hopefuly there is something out there that can both send and receive simultaneously. I'm thinking like for radar experiments, or RFID reader, or something similar. Each HackRF is quite expensive, so buying 2 of them for full-duplex is not an efficient way to spend money.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Any good full-duplex SDRs?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:03 am

Take your pick, there are many

LimeSDR, PlutoSDR, bladeRF, USRP etc

But an easier way, if bandwidth/freq range isn't an issue, is to just use a cheap RX SDR, like an RTL-SDR for the RX side.

Ben321

Post by Ben321 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:52 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:03 am
Take your pick, there are many

LimeSDR, PlutoSDR, bladeRF, USRP etc

But an easier way, if bandwidth/freq range isn't an issue, is to just use a cheap RX SDR, like an RTL-SDR for the RX side.
USRP devices cost thousands of $$$$$$. BladeRF is almost as expensive. LImeSDR is only a kickstarter type project, so they don't have a normal online store you can buy from (such as with AirSpy and RTL-SDR dongles). Never heard of PlutoSDR.

I don't know if there's any Windows software that will allow full duplex operation of these SDRs. Most software meant for transmitting is Linux-based.

A good full-duplex SDR (for me at least), would require that the software used to operate it be Windows Software. It's a no-go for me if it's exclusively using Linux software, unless a hacker happens to have written their own unofficial software to use it in Windows.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 am

Are you wanting to use it for ham radio? Or experiments? The ones I listed are mostly for experiments.

There are many ham radio SDRs that allow full duplex, but of course you pay the ham radio price for a fully developed commercial product.

Ben321

Post by Ben321 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 am
Are you wanting to use it for ham radio? Or experiments? The ones I listed are mostly for experiments.

There are many ham radio SDRs that allow full duplex, but of course you pay the ham radio price for a fully developed commercial product.
I'm just looking for an easy to use RX/TX full duplex SDR.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am

For what sort of application? Earlier you mentioned radar experiments, or RFID reader etc, so the LimeSDR, PlutoSDR, bladeRF, USRP units are really made for that sort of experimental purpose. Connecting them to GNU Radio for DSP experimentation isn't that difficult, but don't expect too many ready to use GUI based programs.

If you're just wanting to key up and TX ham radio, then you're looking at something like FlexRadio, ICOM IC-9700, Hermes Lite, Elecraft KX3 etc

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:06 am

The LimeSDR Mini is available from the CrowdSupply online store: https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini
I had no problems ordering one, just like from any other online store. The unit arrived about a week after ordering, and worked right out of the box.
The LimeSuite software library for the Mini is reported to be cross-platform, but I've only tried building it on a Raspberry Pi, as I don't have any Wintel systems. Writing some software to experiment with the device (including transmit of IQ data) did not seem overly complicated. For simple receive testing, here some C source code to implement an rtl_tcp "work-alike" for the LimeSDR Mini : https://github.com/hotpaw2/lmm_tcp

The Analog Device ADALM-Pluto SDR is available directly from Analog Devices: https://www.analog.com/en/design-center ... b-overview
Mine took over a month to ship. I'm still trying to figure out how to get digitized RF data into and out of it on a Raspberry Pi. Interfacing with it for raw data experimentation doesn't seem as simple as with using the RTL-SDR, Airspy, SDRPlay or Lime software interface libraries.

HighSNR

Post by HighSNR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 am

BladeRF micro 2.0 is very easy to get locked coherent Tx and Rx.

I guess that Pluto SDR might be ok as well, but I can't confirm this.

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Has anyone here tried an Afedri SDR?
Looks interesting. Appears to be full-duplex. Direct Sampling. Comes with Ethernet support built-in.
http://www.afedri-sdr.com/index.php/ord ... nformation
Ships from Israel?