Connection order

Talk about anything else here.
c1v

Connection order

Post by c1v » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

Hi all,

sorry for this noob question! I have a LNA and an upconverter connected to a 20m dipole. What should be the connection order for the lowest noiselevel?

Antenna <-> LNA <-> Upconverter <-> rtl-sdr

or first upconverter then LNA?
Hadn't the opportunity to try it out myself (what i will definitely do), but im curious what theoretically should be the best order.

greetings!
c1v

Xphome

Re: Connection order

Post by Xphome » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I forwarded your question to the ##rtlsdr IRC channel and got this response.
[16:36:15] <dh0ks> the lna always belongs to the antenna
[16:36:21] <dh0ks> ofc
[16:36:42] <dh0ks> you don't want to amplify the noise of the converter

soooooil

Post by soooooil » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Yes, LNA should be the first one but the thing is, if your LNA is designed to amplify starting not from DC but from certain frequency it may be wiser to put it after the upconverter to amplify already converted signal on the frequency that is in range of LNA.

Nelson143

Post by Nelson143 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:47 am

Hello everyone i would like to know if there any software or anything that can trace the location of the Radio transmitter?? and if there are any hardware that i need to buy or use.. i am from Philippines an HAM user .. 17 years old member of DX1EVM ,, and also i want the spectrum analyzer where you can here their voice once they talk.... thank a lot i will be back to see if there will be an answer and also you can add me in fb @hi and on gmail at wanks again :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D