USB cable

Talk about anything else here.
MeredithSmith

USB cable

Post by MeredithSmith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 am

Using RTL_SDR dongle on a Dell laptop, only problem for the work space available on my desk and aesthetics, the most reasonable USB port to use the dongle with is right next to the port for the laptop power cord. Because of the size of the housing of the dongle, I can't plug both in at the same time.
I tried this little 6 inch USB extension cable but SDR# or the other SDR applications don't recognize that the RTL-SDR is plugged in if I use it.

Would an active USB cable work? Is there a short active USB cable less than 12 inches?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: USB cable

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 am

Active USB cables to work, but i'm not sure if there are short ones.

The short cable you're using is probably just too low in quality to work with a high data rate device like the RTL-SDR. Get a good high quality short passive USB cable and you'll be fine.

Alternatively a powered hub may be useful.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Any size of extender cable should work as long as it can handle the roughly 300 mA without a significant voltage drop and it's not too bad otherwise.

I bought some 6" pigtail extender cables for the exact same reason from monoprice 5+ years ago and they work fine with RTL-SDR dongles. (monoprice no longer sell those cables)

Active USB cables are normally 15ft or longer, and because they use some power, they may not be able to power a device needing about 300 mA.

One good solution is to use an externally powered USB hub. External power is very important since a bus powered hub may not work, or work reliably.

Username

Post by Username » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:47 pm

some 6" pigtail extender cables
What did you do?