GPS Jamming detection

Talk about anything else here.
BertieB

GPS Jamming detection

Post by BertieB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11 pm

first time poster... my background is I used to work in IT, have limited programming skills but moved on a new career after. I developed an interest in aviation and have a couple of Pi's running ADSB receivers. However, I've developed a new interest around GPS.

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that GPS relies on a timed pulse, this allows it to be detected among the background noise - as seemingly random peaks aren't random anymore when timed?

I'm wondering can a SDR detect a GPS jammer? Given that a jammer I'm assuming has to overwhelm the weak strength signal of GPS but would an SDR be able to pick this up?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: GPS Jamming detection

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:16 am

Yeah you can tune to 1.575 GHz with an R820T2 RTL-SDR (must be a properly heat sinked one).

You could probably spot a jammer in the spectrum. Normal GPS looks like nothing on the spectrum as it's so weak that it lies beneath the noise floor.

There's also an interesting GPS jammer finder here https://www.rtl-sdr.com/detecting-gps-j ... ed-reality

Username

Post by Username » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Well can someone show how a GPS Jammer should look like in SDR# ?

myke

Post by myke » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm

...an R820T2 RTL-SDR (must be a properly heat sinked one).

So, ...properly heat sinked... would the KerberosSDR fit in that category? I thought maybe all that is needed to make KerberosSDR work would be a LNA antenna assembly mounted directly on the KerberosSDR box, some consideration to power LNAs - keeping connection as short as possible... Could this work?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 am

myke wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm
...an R820T2 RTL-SDR (must be a properly heat sinked one).

So, ...properly heat sinked... would the KerberosSDR fit in that category? I thought maybe all that is needed to make KerberosSDR work would be a LNA antenna assembly mounted directly on the KerberosSDR box, some consideration to power LNAs - keeping connection as short as possible... Could this work?
KerberosSDR is heat sinked to the metal case with the thermal pads. Are you trying to DFing GPS jammers?

myke

Post by myke » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Not experimenting with DF for GSP Jammers at this time. Just considering the possibilities ... BTW - your link is very interesting equipment. Thanks