Any Radar that can trace the location of the radio transmitt

Talk about anything else here.
syrine132

Any Radar that can trace the location of the radio transmitt

Post by syrine132 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Hello everyone i would like to know if there any software or anything that can trace the location of the Radio transmitter?? and if there are any hardware that i need to buy or use.. i am from Philippines an HAM user .. 17 years old member of DX1EVM ,, and also i want the spectrum analyzer where you can here their voice once they talk.... thank a lot i will be back to see if there will be an answer and also you can add me in fb @ www.facebook.com/ww.anon.phi and on gmail at [email protected] thanks again :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Any Radar that can trace the location of the radio trans

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 am

I think what you want is Radio Direction Finding.

A video about a SDR solution with the USRP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSC4Y8yA-jY

Otherwise look up Fox Hunts, which hams do. See what type of hardware they use.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Any Radar that can trace the location of the radio trans

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:45 am

The software RTLSDR Scanner by eartoearoak can do this now. Basically you drive around with an RTL-SDR and GPS unit connected and it correlates GPS location and signal strength. From that you can create a signal strength heatmap and see where signal is the strongest.

http://eartoearoak.com/software/rtlsdr-scanner

Github

Re: Any Radar that can trace the location of the radio transmitt

Post by Github » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 am

Basic idea is pretty simple, you can find the direction according to signal strength or arrival time (phase difference). In actual operation, it‘s simpler to do according to the signal strength. You need to have two dongles equiped with yagi antenna and putted in different location, then rotate them to find which direction has the maximium signal strength. Two straight line will intersect somewhere, that is the location of the transmitter.