Android FM Radio Antenna

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Venom

Android FM Radio Antenna

Post by Venom » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi All,
I am new to SDR. I live in a Rural Area and I have a Samsung Android Tablet that I am using as a car stereo in a UTV. While setting it up on the test bench using the supplied Dipole Antenna The FM reception was very good. I was surprised at that as my Workshop is in a metal building.
Once I had the Tablet in the vehicle FM Reception was still very good testing with the Dipole Antenna while sitting still.
I have a SMA to Motorola Plug adapter so I can plug in the Car Antenna. Once I plug in the car antenna all reception is gone.
I just get loud high pitched static.
I noticed the included dipole antenna has a ferrite core on the antenna lead. Do I need to add one to the car antenna? And if so what Size and Spec?
Also do they make a filter to Block out all frequencies except FM?
Can I add a Line Amplifier? Being in a Rural Area Signals are generally weak.
Is there a certain type of car antenna that would work best?
Thank you for any help.
Last edited by Venom on Sun May 02, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venom

Re: Android FM Radio Antenna

Post by Venom » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:15 am

I have purchased a 88-108M FM Band Pass Filter, 50-4000MHz RF Low Noise Amplifier and DC Blocker. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
I also purchased a few mast lengths to try.
I will post after I try everything.
Kind of surprised no one has any input here.....

joe36

Re: Android FM Radio Antenna

Post by joe36 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm

I would first call into question the car antenna. I suspect the center were of the coax is coming in contact with DC ground. Test the continuity of the center pin of the SMA to ground.
If it is not at ground potential, check continuity of the center SMA pin to the outside antenna.
The DC block and FM band pass filter will help. I seriously doubt that a LNA is needed for FM reception.

Joe