need recommandation for better signal

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
pikilin

need recommandation for better signal

Post by pikilin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi

i am new to this and my understanding is low, so forgive me if i say some strange stuff lol

i have new nooelec dongle (for the first time) and i love it, but i would like to get better reception and stronger signals that also will be able to pick up aircraft conversations and positions.

i am not looking for Antenna that will be out door, i just want to upgrade my dongle stock Antenna into something a bit stronger or more powerful at the same size or a bit bigger so i will be able to connect it to my phone or tablet even when i am out of my apartment if i want to take the radio kit with me.

Aussie Susan

Re: need recommandation for better signal

Post by Aussie Susan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:26 am

Antenna are funny beasts to get right and what you are asking for might be a little tricky (if I've understood your question correctly).
The most effective antenna are generally about 1/4 of the wavelength you are trying to receive. Aircraft conversations are all in AM and are from 108MHz to 137MHz. Therefore you are looking at an antenna of about 0.5m length as an ideal.
The problem with smaller antenna is that they are not resonant at the required frequencies and so they generally respond only to stronger signals. That is not to say that they don't work but just not as well.
If you want to pick up the signals from all around then you need an omni-direction antenna and perhaps the simplest is just a vertical working against a ground plane (that is often supplied by short wires sticking out from around the base of the antenna - or a car body for mobile antenna).
At least you are not looking to transmit which also makes the available options much broader for you as the requirements are not as strict.
Having said all of that, if your 'stock antenna' is anything like the one that came with my dongle, then just about any bit of wire (the phrase 'wet string' comes to mind!!!) will be better.
Susan

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am

As Aussie Susan said, antennas are tuned for a particular frequency.

To improve the performance of your stock antenna, simply place it on something metallic. This acts as a ground plane for the antenna.

If you're mainly interested in aircraft chatter you could build a fold up J-pole out of twin lead wire, tuned for the airband.

Or get yourself a simple bunny ears antenna, which can act as an adjustable dipole. Get a simple one like this https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MANT-05 ... B00006JPR2, then replace the connector and/or cable.

pikilin

Post by pikilin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm

guys you are wonderful :)
i will get cable extension so i will be able to place my antenna's at my window and i will find metal base for it and i will go with the bunny ears, i guess it will be perfect for my needs and as soon as i will grow up with this hobby, i will learn to build and shape my own antenna's.

i appreciate your help very much,
thank you ;)

pikilin

Post by pikilin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

the bunny ears antenna in the above link doesn't ship to my country, so i wanted to know if any bunny ears antenna will do...even like this?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Indoor-T ... 8.3.UybKHW

joe36

Post by joe36 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 pm

it will work but you may have to open it and remove any filter components if it has any.

Joe KA9UCN

pikilin

Post by pikilin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 pm

do you think that this filters (if there will be any) needs to be removed by soldering or it is just to unplug something ?

joe36

Post by joe36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I don’t think there will be one but. If there is a filter. It will not be much of one. Probably no more than a coil or 2 and a capacitor or 2. Just disconnect the circuit and run the input wire to the output. You would do better to solder but probably not necessary. Once you get it open it will be obvious if you have to change anything. If so the modification will not be hard or technical. it is a very easy project!
Joe KA9UCN

pikilin

Post by pikilin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Ok, thank you very much :)
in the mean time i found one rabbit ears antenna similar to the one that rtlsdrblog posted link to, but the info you gave me is great if i will need to deal with anything like that.

thanks again ;) ,
pikilin

joe36

Post by joe36 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:20 am

Antennas are easy and fun. I would suggest at looking into at least a minimal study of antenna basics. There is a lot of free good information on the net. You might even watch some short you tube videos. Once you have down the basics it becomes very easy to build an antenna for pennies.
Joe KA9UCN