First timers Antenna and Overall setup suggestion RTL SDR

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
wilburt

First timers Antenna and Overall setup suggestion RTL SDR

Post by wilburt » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello all.
a couple of weeks ago i got a RTL SDR dongle.
so ive been experimenting with it with the antenna a long coax cable with the outer braid turned down on the sheath with jury rigged connectors, and ive caught the bug! i havent been so excited about something in a long time!
I've read about the best way to get rid of interference is to keep the coax run to a minimum so ive bought a 15 meter active usb cable to reach to the attic , copper metal tape for shielding, weatherproof box, lm317 dc-dc converter to power a LNA if i get one down the line.(i dont want to bother with a bias tee atm), and a fm trap. it will all be going into a metal box.
Also i had a few old PC power supplies so iv'e stripped them for the toroidal transformers,removed the windings, so now ive got a few ferrites to wrap around the cables!

But in undecided about the antenna. i like to pick up planes, and the NOAA satellites (the signal fades in and out).with what im using thats all ive recieved,so theres probably more signals waiting out there i know nothing of the technical terms like SWR and gain as im just starting out.
my first choice would be a discone "ScanKing Royal Discone Base Antenna" from maplin in the UK. but what of the circularly polarised signals of the satellites?
is there a one fits all? i probably wont want to go over the ADSB Frequency. i have about £70 to spend on the antenna.

Also can you connect two antennas to the same coax so they compliment each other?

Thankyou in advance for your help and wisdom

TO MODS I put this in general discussion as well so please correct if ive made a mistake posting in wrong place thankyou

DB Gain

Re: First timers Antenna and Overall setup suggestion RTL SD

Post by DB Gain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 pm

A discone is an excellent v/uhf general use antenna, even picking up some satellite stuff. Using the best coax you can afford will really help as the discone types don't have much gain. As to running two antennas to one coax, or using a splitter/combiner, you run into situations where the signal coming from one antenna will phase interfere with the other antenna's signals, if the antennas were resonant at greatly different frequencies this would be less of a problem. In such a case where the antennas are feeding the same signal to the same coax or same radio, the phases can null - wich makes the signal disappear, add - wich increases the signals strength, or interact in a multitude of ways that are usually undesired.

on1bes

Post by on1bes » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 pm

About some SDR antenna's, look on my website http://home.scarlet.be/on1bes/index.html

KD7PTF

Post by KD7PTF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:56 am

on1bes wrote:About some SDR antenna's, look on my website http://home.scarlet.be/on1bes/index.html

http://home.scarlet.be/on1bes/sdr_d2000_antenne.html
Helloo, Can you provide this in English for me? :)
Thanks and hello all im Jeff In Seattle Wa USA.

ZL1CO

Post by ZL1CO » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am

Did you notice the link at the top left of the site "For ENG version, click here"?

DB Gain

Post by DB Gain » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:13 pm

"For english version klik here" does nothing in my case.