Telemetry, The Beacons

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
tryad

Telemetry, The Beacons

Post by tryad » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am

Hey Guys:

The only reason I am in radio is telemetry. I only monitor beacon off the satellites . I lost the wanting to talk a long time ago. I was an advanced Class amateur. I got my start using Amsat beacons and ISS of course. I locked in and studied the 900 meter band. I want to see what data is on the transmissions. seems we have duplex meters. Anyone have information on Smart Meter data decoding?

I digress, Does any one use other than a dish to monitor the C-Band? I am not sure if it is possible but I am going to do some research on it my self. Is it possible to use a small dish with a good LNA system and horn? I was also thinking of a HORN antenna but I still go back to a to large of horn at the focal point.

cheers,

tryad

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Telemetry, The Beacons

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:39 am

tryad wrote:Hey Guys:

The only reason I am in radio is telemetry. I only monitor beacon off the satellites . I lost the wanting to talk a long time ago. I was an advanced Class amateur. I got my start using Amsat beacons and ISS of course. I locked in and studied the 900 meter band. I want to see what data is on the transmissions. seems we have duplex meters. Anyone have information on Smart Meter data decoding?

I digress, Does any one use other than a dish to monitor the C-Band? I am not sure if it is possible but I am going to do some research on it my self. Is it possible to use a small dish with a good LNA system and horn? I was also thinking of a HORN antenna but I still go back to a to large of horn at the focal point.

cheers,

tryad
Yes people are decoding smart meters. Looks up rtlamr, though it depends on what particular units you have installed if it can decode them. There's also other programs like smeter and gr-wmbus on github to look into.

C-band normally requires a fairly large dish, probably at least 2m.