Antenna for inmarsat reception.

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
James_from_France

Antenna for inmarsat reception.

Post by James_from_France » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:16 am

Hello,

I would like to try to receive and decode inmarsat.
Would this antenna be suitable : https://www.cdiscount.com/high-tech/acc ... #mpos=9|mp

Would it be possible to power it with my rtl-sdr v3 dongle?
Would I need an extra LNA?
Would I need to modify the antenna?
What's the exact frequency for inmarsat?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

James from France.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Antenna for inmarsat reception.

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:11 am

That's a GPS antenna, you'd have to remove the internal filter before you could use it.

Instead i'd recommend buying this https://outernet.is/products/l-band-ant ... saw-filter. LNA, antenna and filter for Inmarsat all built into one.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello,
Thanks for answering me. The antenna that you suggest is 5 times the price of a GPS antenna...
Is it easy to remove the filter from a GPS antenna? Would a GPS antenna work without an LNA?
Thanks for your help.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 am

James_from_France wrote:Hello,
Thanks for answering me. The antenna that you suggest is 5 times the price of a GPS antenna...
Is it easy to remove the filter from a GPS antenna? Would a GPS antenna work without an LNA?
Thanks for your help.
There's a tutorial at the bottom of this post for modifying a GPS antenna, it's not too difficult if you're somewhat familiar with electronics and soldering https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutoria ... -messages/.

Though performance is not great, but can be close enough to work on the weaker STD-C channel if you add a metal ground plane.

The 3-5V GPS antennas already have an LNA built into them, you should not use a second LNA unless you know what you're doing. You need to power those GPS antennas with the bias tee on the V3, or with an external bias tee. Same power method for the Outernet antenna.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello again,
I've just ordered a cheap GPS antenna from Aliexpress (2,12 euros). If it doesn't work, it doesn't really matter.
I'll see if it works in about a month's time...
It would be great if you could sell a cheap L-Band antenna (with a LNA and with the filter already removed) on the rtl-sdr.com website.
With a simple dipole antenna, I can see a few signals in the region of 1,5 Ghz but I don't know if they come from a satellite or if they are some sort of interference.
Thanks again for your help.