Antenna boost for Garmin DriveLuxe 50 GPS

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Sam Science

Antenna boost for Garmin DriveLuxe 50 GPS

Post by Sam Science » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a Garmin DriveLuxe 50 that receives free traffic and weather via HD radio signal (NRSC-5). It picks up the signal thru its 5 foot charging cord. The problem is that HD towers are found only in larger cities and signal is poor in surrounding suburbs. I wish to find/make a boosting antenna so that I can use it at my house. The charge cord antenna has a mini-B plug to plug into the Driveluxe. Any suggestions where to find a kit or how to make my own boosting antenna?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Antenna boost for Garmin DriveLuxe 50 GPS

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am

It's probably using the shield of the USB cable as the antenna. You could try splicing a USB cable and connecting coax to the shield, then using that coax to connect to a roof/attic mounted antenna.

Sam Science

Re: Antenna boost for Garmin DriveLuxe 50 GPS

Post by Sam Science » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Thank you for your help! I suppose taping securely together is a good method. . . I will have fun seeing what happens when attaching to an old TV yagi. And I might also try a FM10 Outdoor Omnidirectional FM Antenna from Amazon that is supposed to be HD ready. If anyone knows of a small outdoor FM yagi that could really pull signals for remote areas, please let me know.