Antenna Switching

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
checksum

Antenna Switching

Post by checksum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 am

Hi all,
Ideally I would like to be able to remotely switch between antennas. While I would like to do this remotely I necessarily don't need to and thus may settle on a local switch because I imagine it'll be more cost effective. Is their any easy and inexpensive way of doing this? I am very flexible as I have not bought anything yet.

My current plan is to run an array of antenna to a SDR dongle via my spare Raspberry Pi . Presently I would like to be able to switch between a discone, dipole, and a turnstile antenna. Would a switch similar to this work?

***EDIT***
I'm not even sure if I need a switch? Can I use adapters and not worry isolating out the antennas I'm not using?

Thank you for any advice or other example or ideas of antenna switching you can give.

soooooil

Re: Antenna Switching

Post by soooooil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah that switch will work, but you can easily do one like that yourself. Some sma (or any other) connectors like this and few ordinary toggle switches (or one multi position switch) and you just have to connect it all on a piece of pcb or just in some enclosure.
That is of course the most frugal solution and it applies only if you would be able to put it all together :mrgreen:

rtlsdrFan

Post by rtlsdrFan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Just remember: Every time you split you lose DB [signal]. Like 50% [3dB loss] for a two split.

dB loss really matters on all SDR applications.... so the simple [and cheap] splitter MAY not work if you don't have a high gain antenna

See this video.

The Workman "switch" is much better, but rather inconvenient but never use that brand - Workman - if you *transmit*

alaust

Post by alaust » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:36 pm

you should change antenne and you wont have this problem again