how to rank my homemade antenna?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
odyno

how to rank my homemade antenna?

Post by odyno » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi,
I have built my antenna but now how to evaluate my work? Exist some tecnique or software to value my work or I must proceed with statistic tecnique with samples of signal?
How to factorize my progress?

Thanks

rtlsdrFan

Re: how to rank my homemade antenna?

Post by rtlsdrFan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Test it against known signals like FM Radio, Air and NOAA (if in USA).

If they are strong, that means you have a great general purpose VHF antenna.

The best way is to listen. If it sounds noisy then poor for that band. Make a note.

Question: what type of antenna did you make?

Without an expensive Antenna analyzer:

Project: Compare it to a string of wire greater than 8ft attached to the dongle antenna input. ( Believe it or not a long wire antenna is a basic broadband receive antenna - but noise everywhere)
If your homemade antenna outperforms your the wire antenna on the freqs. you want.... then you have passed the test :D

RECORD all findings against your baseline (the +8ft wire).... now you have a comparative (statistical analysis ) on the gain/performance of your antenna. Baseline v. Homemade.

Tweak Tweak Tweak + have fun.

DO not compare it to the antenna that came with the dongle.

odyno

Post by odyno » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks!!!
rtlsdrFan wrote: Question: what type of antenna did you make?
quarter wave antenna for 1090mhz
rtlsdrFan wrote:Test it against known signals like FM Radio, Air and NOAA (if in USA).
If they are strong, that means you have a great general purpose VHF antenna.
The best way is to listen. If it sounds noisy then poor for that band. Make a note.
Now I use this approch to test my antenna, but I'm a newbie and I don't have a real comparations. So I have think to dump ads-b messages grabbed with the new antenna, plot the maximum distance of intercept from my antenna and build a comparation with my old antenna.
But this approach is relative to my environment and I don't have a objective scale; I do not know if I can improve my antenna or is it the best I can do
rtlsdrFan wrote: Without an expensive Antenna analyzer:
Project: Compare it to a string of wire greater than 8ft attached to the dongle antenna input. ( Believe it or not a long wire antenna is a basic broadband receive antenna - but noise everywhere)
If your homemade antenna outperforms your the wire antenna on the freqs. you want.... then you have passed the test :D
RECORD all findings against your baseline (the +8ft wire).... now you have a comparative (statistical analysis ) on the gain/performance of your antenna. Baseline v. Homemade.
Tweak Tweak Tweak + have fun.
It's ok, I want test this approach! (and understand why you propose it)
rtlsdrFan wrote: DO not compare it to the antenna that came with the dongle.
Sob! I know, but I have only it... :(

GabrielOl

how to rank my homemade antenna

Post by GabrielOl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Do you offer any isotropic antenna or how to make a isotropic 3D measurement?

Kenn

Post by Kenn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:40 am

Check this out:

http://www.balarad.net/

I built a 12 element coaxial collinear and it consistently outperforms my commercially made discone by ~50%. Greater range AND more aircraft detected at closer range. Both are mounted at the same height above ground.

Tips:

Use new RG6 and leave it in the sun for a few hours to warm up. It's much easier to insert the center conductor into the adjacent piece when it's warm and soft. You can tape the sections together but heat shrink tubing is nicer.

--Kenn