TV antenna

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
kc8eqf

TV antenna

Post by kc8eqf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Could a amplified digital indoor antenna be used for receiving signals acroos the spectrum on SDR dongles?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: TV antenna

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Yes, but it will probably perform best on the TV bands like it was designed to do. But if its a a bunny ears dipole type you should be able to get a wider range out of it by adjusting the telescopic ears and mounting it vertically.

jrplane

Post by jrplane » Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 am

I was interested in the same thing, except for an outdoor antenna, and was wondering if the preamp would overdrive the rtl front end.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu May 28, 2015 9:56 am

What type of outdoor antenna are we talking about? A preamp shouldn't overload the RTL-SDR, LNA's are often used with them, but it might not be needed.

SOGLAD

Post by SOGLAD » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:26 am

kc8eqf wrote:Could a amplified digital indoor antenna be used for receiving signals acroos the spectrum on SDR dongles?
No, I would not recommend a "amplified digital indoor antenna" for a number of reasons and the prime issue is the 'noise' pre-amplifiers generate within the transistors/components inside the amp! This means weak signals can easily be lost under that new, higher noise floor. Fact is, that antenna was simply not designed to do what you need...

If you must deal with a indoor installation and don't want to spend a lot of money, please consider a mobile dual band VHF/UHF Antenna (to be used indoors). Mount the antenna on a (up-side-down) round tin pie pan ~ or better yet, a rectangle pan and install it in a window ~ maybe behind a curtain?...

Something like this: VHF UHF NL-770S PL-259 eBay: 261338195291 at $18.99. It's total length is just 16.33" Of course it will never equal the performance of a outdoor antenna, but you won't have pre-amp "noise", you will have a little 'gain' (at some bands) and it is designed for both VHF/UHF bands... The antenna should also work well for the aircraft bands as well.

Don't fall for a "TRAM Glass Mount All-Band Scanner Antenna" because there is glass between the antenna base plate and the coax plate... That glass is not a conductor and you will take signal loss hits from that fact. Said another way, efficiencies run in the 30% to 70% for 'glass' antennas and that is very bad news for weak signals!

Personally, I use one of these: eBay 251913247987... I am truly delighted and it is worth every dime.

SG