Any antenna suggestions?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
flierefluiter

Any antenna suggestions?

Post by flierefluiter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am

A couple of months ago I purchased an SDR receiver, the nooelec nesdr smart. I really enjoy exploring frequencies, sadly I can't receive a lot of commercial stations. I've tried introducing some copper wire to receive more stations, although I receive more stations, the noise is too much for me. The stations also tend to be on other and multiple frequencies. The strong stations are now on most frequencies and overlap all the time.

I search an antenna that:
- can receive between 80 - 130 MHz
- can receive most of the local stations
- doesn't let stations overlap
- doesn't receive a lot of noise
- is DIY-able or not too expensive
- would work in a semi-crowded city
- is beginner friendly
- doesn't need to be installed really high in the air (< 10m)

Who has ideas?

I know this is a pretty long list of requirements, but I feel there are still possibilities.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Any antenna suggestions?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:47 am

Just try a standard dipole or quarter wave ground plane first. Those are the two most basic antennas that give good performance especially when set to the correct length.

If you're getting interference from frequencies outside the band you're interested in, you might need filtering.

Kenn

Post by Kenn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 am

I've had good results using folded dipoles for FM broadcast. They have more bandwidth than a simple dipole and are mildly directional which can help null out nearby offending stations.

I usually make them from 300 ohm twinlead and put a 300-75 ohms balun in the center and feed it with RG6. I've put them inside a radome made from PVC pipe and installed under the eve on the side of the house facing the stations I want. It pulls in stations 100 miles away.

-Kenn

JEL

Post by JEL » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:32 am

flierefluiter wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am
The stations also tend to be on other and multiple frequencies. The strong stations are now on most frequencies and overlap all the time.

I search an antenna that:
- can receive between 80 - 130 MHz
So the BCFM (Commercial FM-radio) stations overlap and repeat on various frequencies?

Wouldn't that suggest you overload the dongle?
Which should improve by lowering your input-gain.

I would think BCFM stations are among the easiest stations to receive (I know a lot of us go through hoops and trials and tribulations in order to LOWER their effect :) So perhaps your issues isn't really lack of reception, but rather settings that need some tuning? Such as perhaps lower gain, or perhaps some setting (Audio, filter, band-width, something else) in the radio-receiver software you use?)