Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
I just put up a new monopole antenna outside my house to try and improve my SDR reception. It's working pretty well with air traffic, but trying to receive shortwave and AM broadcast is patchy at best. Frequently the AM broadcast band appears like this; and audio is very distorted. Would you say the placement of the antenna is wrong, or is there some interference coming in from somewhere along the way? In the screenshot the RTL-SDR was tuned to 1089, where there is a broadcast AM radio station and others nearby.
- Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 19.50.39.png (232.15 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Here are the Troubleshooting procedures i go through:
- Is your antenna close to any power lines or other radio-emitting equipment?
- Does it have decent Line of Sight to the sky? (Propagation)
- How high up should it be?
- Is the coaxial damaged in any spots?