Who has a Discone in the Attic?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Kev7274

Who has a Discone in the Attic?

Post by Kev7274 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 pm

After trying for a few days,I have lost the battle to put the Discone on the roof. I know that I would get better coverage on the roof,but having an antenna that sticks 10-15 foot higher than the actual roof isn't going to cut it.

The attic is failrly tall (10ft approx) so I figured I could get it as high as possible. It would be better than nothing is what I'm thinking. Just wanted to see what sort of results you guys were getting with one in the attic. Has anybody had one on the roof and moved it into the attic? What sort of difference did it make? Also would keep it out of the weather and I wouldn't need any sort of lightning arrester.

Let me know,thanks.

Aussie Susan

Re: Who has a Discone in the Attic?

Post by Aussie Susan » Wed May 01, 2019 2:37 am

What sort of roofing material do you have?
If it is metallic, then it might cause issues.
I've a discone under a tile roof and it (seems to) work OK.
Susan

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes, I have a discone antenna in a 2nd story attic. Getting it high above ground, and also above all of the house's electrical wiring, helps a lot. It pulls in tons of VHF signals that a dipole near a ground floor window won't.

Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:11 pm

It's the typical shingle roof.

K4HLW

Post by K4HLW » Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 pm

All of my antennas are in my attic (Discone, ADS-B, 20m, VHF/UHF) and they work fine for me... but fine is an objective term. So instead I’ll say my ADS-B has the highest rank in my area, and that includes being better then the station Piper Aircraft runs at our local airport. I was actually on my discone while I was getting my dedicated antenna up and was just short of #1 on that.

One warning though, take your time putting it up there the radials and trusses take some time to figure out how to fit it, just last night I went to move it a little and I was getting hot and forgot the pliers and was too lazy to take the hat radials off and I broke one trying to move it between a pipe and a truss... now today I have to replace the whole thing because where am I going to find a replacement radial for a Radio Shack antenna?

Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm also thinking about not using the whip antenna on the top so I can get it up higher. I'm not sure around here anybody uses that frequency which I think is around 30-50mhz. Maybe baby monitors?