What is a good wide range antenna for desktop sdr

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Ryan828

What is a good wide range antenna for desktop sdr

Post by Ryan828 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi new friends, I am just delving into dsr, and am in very beginning stages of it. I need suggestions on what a good antenna would be that gets the most bands and can be placed right on my desk. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Username

Re: What is a good wide range antenna for desktop sdr

Post by Username » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Freq Range?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:27 am

Ryan828 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Hi new friends, I am just delving into dsr, and am in very beginning stages of it. I need suggestions on what a good antenna would be that gets the most bands and can be placed right on my desk. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I'd suggest just a standard dipole, and adjusting it for the frequency you are listening to. If it's too wideband then it's going to pick up all sorts of indoor RF noise from your PC, especially if you have it on your desktop. Try your best to get the antennas at least out a window.

Jekko

Post by Jekko » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:28 pm

in my experience there is no antenna that could work "right to your desktop".

There is too much RFI in the house, LCD TV, Neon lamps, electronics...
Into your house you can at best get the broadcast radio, especially if you live in a city.

If you put the antenna in the balcony, at least at one meter by the wall you will already get superb improvement of the signal.

I suggest also to put the receiver right under the antenna and arrive to the pc with a long usb cable (not more than 5 meters)
If you live in a city and have unfiltered sdr, it is better to buy a BCFM bandstop filter.
Last, put ferrite beans at the end of the coax.

About the antenna, i started with the rtl-sdr blog dipole, i still use it in some cases and i will rebuy it 100 times, i received communications far more than 150km from my house and i live in a city with really much noise. This dipole is also good to receive voice communications and SSTV by the ISS so i will use it tonight too :D

Hope it helps

snn47

Post by snn47 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 am

As said before what is the frequency range you are interested in, which polarisation have the signal you want to receive? I suggest you look at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4861 for more information on what you might want to ask and which information you should provide to get the best answer.

How good indoor reception can be depends on the individual situation, meaning e.g. the building loss entry (steel reinforced concrete, bricks or just plywood?). which floor your in with rooftoop rooms normally beeing the best.

If you have RFI again depends on the individual situation and cannot be guessed by anyone.

on1bes

Post by on1bes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:11 pm

For HF best thing is a MiniWhip active antenna. But works only outdoors.
For VHF/UHF best thing is a coax antenna like the FBK-70 antenna.
All on my website on1bes (Google it).