Motorhome antennas, HF and higher?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
jackrussel

Motorhome antennas, HF and higher?

Post by jackrussel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:38 pm

Hello folks

Do we have any motorhome or campervan owners on here who use SDR while camping in the UK? I'm looking for recommendations for easily deployed and fairly unobtrusive antennas for use while on site. Some site owners don't like things like flag poles or windsocks etc. so has anyone knocked up or bought anything they have found that is worth looking into?

I'm thinking HF and V/UHF, obviously not one for all, maybe a cheap chinese loop for hf? I'm using a 'blog V3 dongle, I have an ATU, and if a long wire (not that long in reality!) is a balun needed, if so, have you any links to them? There will be rain, I think, so will need something fairly waterproof. Any help or suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance folks!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Motorhome antennas, HF and higher?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am

The loop will most likely work the best. A cheap Chinese loop is fine, but as you're in the UK look up Welbrook loops too. Obviously much higher cost, but really well built.

jackrussel

Re: Motorhome antennas, HF and higher?

Post by jackrussel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 am

Hi
I used to have a Wellbrook ala30 once .....IIRC I sold it on without ever using it! I'm thinking now, as I have a 8m fishing pole that also has not been used(!) I will get a 9:1 balun (balun 1-9 or similar) and a length of antenna wire, into my ATU thence to the v3 dongle or Icom PCR1500 whichever is in use. I suspect the Icom will be better for HF than the v3. Hopefully I will have time later this year to be away in RF quiet areas, so I'm going to have a play, but sought advice from those who may have already done so.

My firt trip is in 10 days so need to get any kit I need ordered sharpish, if its to be here ready in time. Any thoughts still welcome folks, maybe some of the portable/mobile/users can chip in with info? Thanx to all who have and do so henceforth! 73's folks!!