tv antenna for sdr / tv

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Richard9026

tv antenna for sdr / tv

Post by Richard9026 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:32 pm

can I use this tv antenna for sdr/tv ? :?:
http://imgur.com/hmpx9AO
it remained from an tv company (I dont know anything about this antenna)
it has an coaxial cable , I have an adaptor (coaxial to PAL) , I just need to connect the pal to the tv dongle and i can receive tv/sdr ? :?:
is there any risk to damage the tv dongle ? :?:

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: tv antenna for sdr / tv

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 am

Hmm well that's a satellite dish designed for receiving satellite signals. If you want to listen to L-band signals at around 1.5 GHz it will probably work well, but you will need to check if the LNB (the amplifier and downconverter on the dish) on the dish is working, and check how to power it, and also check what its frequency output is. If it's unsuitable you can always replace the LNB part with a different one. Other uses for a satellite dish include several radio astronomy projects.

There shouldn't be any risk to the dongle, as long as you don't accidentally inject the DC power backwards into the dongle or anything.

Richard9026

Post by Richard9026 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:32 pm

There aren't any power inputs on the lnb , only the coax cable that exits it , so i just plug the coax cable into the dongle ? Will it deliver enough power to power that old lnb ?
PS : I dont have the dongle , it should arrive in ~1 week

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:52 am

No the LNB will need a bias tee that can provide probably around 12V. The bias tee provides power through the coax cable. Make sure you don't plug the bias tee in the wrong way, or you will destroy your dongle.

The dongle doesn't supply any power through the coax, unless you have ours with the optionally activatable bias tee, but even that will only provide 5V, not enough for a commercial TV LNB.

What exactly are you trying to receive? If you're new to RF and radio, most people start experimenting with terrestrial signals using a whip antenna, or wideband discone antenna. Satellite reception with a dish is a bit more advanced and requires knowledge about LNB's, bias tees, dish pointing etc...