[SOLVED] Win10 (32 Bit) + RT2832U Crash

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
dpazzaglia

[SOLVED] Win10 (32 Bit) + RT2832U Crash

Post by dpazzaglia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:25 am

I was using successfully the RT2832U Dogle in the same win 10 system (an upgaded win 7-32 to win 10-32 one) when the dongle was bougth (late may this year). I installed SDR# following the tutorial (install-rtlsdr.bat followed by zadig to load Winusb driver) and everything worked fine. During the last two weeks SDR# wasn't starting anymore (running spinning wheel all the time...) so I decided to update again starting from a new download of the latest version from the official (airspy) site. I repeated the procedure as instructed by the tutorial and now I'm able to launch SDR# but at the very first attempt to select the "RTL-SDR (USB)" dongle from the "source" dropdown menu, SDR# crashes. I tried everything suggested in the blogs found via googling (for example I tried to disinstall the driver eliminating files and to reinstall it again from scratchbut with no success). There isn't any crash.txt report. The only trace I can provide for analysis/debugging is the windows (application) event log (I apologize it is in italian because of the localized version of the OS). There are two related events.
Applicazione: SDRSharp.exe
Versione framework: v4.0.30319
Descrizione: il processo è stato terminato a causa di un'eccezione non gestita.
Informazioni sull'eccezione: System.AccessViolationException
in SDRSharp.RTLSDR.NativeMethods.rtlsdr_get_device_count()
in SDRSharp.RTLSDR.DeviceDisplay.GetActiveDevices()
in SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO.Open()
in SDRSharp.MainForm.OpenFrontEndSource(Boolean, FrequencyInitType)
in SDRSharp.MainForm.Open(Boolean)
in SDRSharp.MainForm.iqSourceComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
in System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(System.EventArgs)
in System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
in System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr, System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
in SDRSharp.Program.Main()
and
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: SDRSharp.exe, versione: 1.0.0.1457, timestamp: 0x57ae5b8e
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: libusb-1.0.dll, versione: 1.0.19.10905, timestamp: 0x539e0d04
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005
Offset errore 0x00008420
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x1e8c
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d201cf2b97ce76
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\sdrsharp-x86\SDRSharp.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\sdrsharp-x86\libusb-1.0.dll
ID segnalazione: ebe35426-84c8-42db-948d-f52989ee8987
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore
Please help me!!
Last edited by dpazzaglia on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpazzaglia

Re: Win10 (32 Bit) + RT2838U Crash (AccessViolationException

Post by dpazzaglia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:11 pm

I managed myself to solve. Since the suspect module was "libusb-1.0.dll" I tried to subsitute the one delivered within Airspy official SDR# download with the one downloadable from the official (sourceforge) libusb repository and voilà SDR# stopped crashing at RTL-SDR (USB) dongle selection. The last release libusb-1.0.dll link is https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb ... z/download. Inside the seven zip file there is the "MS32\dll" where it can be found the latest libusb-1.0.dll library compiled for the 32-bit MS platform. I guess that the AccessViolationError I encountered was due to libusb-1.0.dll included within SDR# download is the MS 64-bit version. Could you verify my hypotesis and amend consequently the tutorial?
Ceers

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Win10 (32 Bit) + RT2832U Crash

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 am

Hmm interesting. SDR# downloads the RTL-SDR files directly from Osmocom, which is the 'standard' or closest thing to an official RTL-SDR driver. Strange to hear problems with libusb there.

agentace

Re: [SOLVED] Win10 (32 Bit) + RT2832U Crash

Post by agentace » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:24 pm

I just had the exact same thing occur on a laptop with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Enterprise x64.
After downloading and installing the latest version of SDR#, going through the installation guide (double checking my steps, despite having done this successfully dozens of times previously), and verifying that the device had been assigned the correct driver, SDR# failed to launch successfully. I then removed everything and started over again, attempting to launch SDR# at each step.

A fresh download and launch was successful. I was able to get the SDR# window open and select devices.
Attempting to select RTL-SDR (USB) at this point gave the expected error dialog.

I downloaded the latest version of zadig from their website and reinstalled the driver.
After launching SDR#, attempting to select and play RTL-SDR (USB) at this point gave the expected dialog.

Finally, I ran the install-rtlsdr.bat script. Attempting to launch SDR# at this point failed.
Debugging the application with Visual Studio didn't reveal any additional information than what was present in the event log: something was apparently wrong with libusb-1.0.dll, preventing SDR# from accessing the device on launch.

Thankfully, after some Googling, I happened upon this thread and the solution worked for me.
Obviously there's something wrong with the libusb-1.0.dll retrieved by the included SDR# batch script, at least on Windows 10.

Event Log Information Below:

Code: Select all

Application: SDRSharp.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.NativeMethods.rtlsdr_get_device_count()
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.DeviceDisplay.GetActiveDevices()
   at SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO.Open()
   at SDRSharp.MainForm.OpenFrontEndSource(Boolean, FrequencyInitType)
   at SDRSharp.MainForm.Open(Boolean)
   at SDRSharp.MainForm.iqSourceComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(System.EventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32)
   at SDRSharp.MainForm.InitializeGUI()
   at SDRSharp.MainForm..ctor()
   at SDRSharp.Program.Main()

Faulting application name: SDRSharp.exe, version: 1.0.0.1469, time stamp: 0x57cb7b8f
Faulting module name: libusb-1.0.dll, version: 1.0.19.10905, time stamp: 0x539e0d04
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007564
Faulting process id: 0x1048
Faulting application start time: 0x01d206b629e3b862
Faulting application path: C:\Users\user\Downloads\sdr-sharpx86\SDRSharp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\user\Downloads\sdr-sharpx86\libusb-1.0.dll
Report Id: 302750ee-0cd0-4e1b-b3da-5507def122cc
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault bucket 108380573098, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: SDRSharp.exe
P2: 1.0.0.1469
P3: 57cb7b8f
P4: libusb-1.0.dll
P5: 1.0.19.10905
P6: 539e0d04
P7: c0000005
P8: 00007564
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1D2A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WER20D4.tmp.csv
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER20F4.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2134.tmp.dmp
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER22EA.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_SDRSharp.exe_c269f62d2e434e79e3144880b68cb41f1593d30_2ce5828f_1e2e22f7

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 302750ee-0cd0-4e1b-b3da-5507def122cc
Report Status: 4104
Hashed bucket: d99b4254134cb3f9f2085b59627017e2