bad antenna ??

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
nicky666

bad antenna ??

Post by nicky666 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:36 am

I have NooElec brand , rtl 2832u and r820t
windows XP. Loaded SDR drivers the software all looks good. I am in my ham shack and trying to test the dongle all with in 3 feet of the computers and radio. i tried 3.900mhz, i set the sdr to that freq and i key up on 100w into dummy load nothing , then the antenna nothing on the display changes besides static, if i disconnect he antenna the same static , i pulled the dongle out of the computer error code no device :)
So the software see the dongle etc, but nothing displayed, i am about to say the antenna is crap ? any thought s .
My goal is to create the IF scope from a icom 7600, cables and splinter is on it way .

dfunresearch

Re: bad antenna ??

Post by dfunresearch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Nicky,

The standard fare (including the NooElec) r820t has a contiguous frequency range of about 24 - 1750 MHz (conservatively) - Your particular device may have a higher end but not by much. The full range of the dongle can be tested with rtl_test

But - there is no way one of those are going down to 3.9MHz. Even modified ones (hardware or driver mods) - may not have any type of sensitivity to be of practical use.

What most people do is get an up-converter - the most popular one seemingly the "Ham-it-up". This will give you 0-30MHz added to 125MHz into the SDR. Using SDR# (and probably other software), you can configure the dongle to display minus the offset so effectively your display would tune directly. Or you could simply do your own math and use 125MHz + the ham it up.

There is lots of info on rtl-sdr about Ham it up and other up-converters.

To test your RTL dongle, try tuning to a known FM stereo station (US) and see if you get a signal.

I do not own one yet, but I am planning on purchasing a Ham It Up 1.2 soon and later on a HackRF (10MHz - 6GHz SDR).

Hope this helps.