No tuner found error? SDR not working!

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
fonestar

No tuner found error? SDR not working!

Post by fonestar » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 pm

So I was really excited to finally get my DVB-T in the mail from eBay and get going. I run Linux Mint 17 32-bit Qiana with Cinnamon Desktop. Nothing I seemed to do would identify the card and I ran into numerous issues while trying to install the SDR software and gnuradio.

So I decided it would be easier just to put Kali Linux with RTL-SDR pre-installed on it. Went through further grief getting the iso to load properly (use dd, not the windows USB programs).

Finally got that part figured out but when I run "rtl_test -t" I just get a "No E4000 tuner found" error. So I took the DVB-T dongle to work and installed a freeware radio program on a computer running Windows 7 Professional. I followed a blog post on how it's done, everything looks the same on mine but I only get noise and there is no frequency tuner. Why can I not change frequencies in Linux or Windows? Is this an odd chipset? The documentation says this should do everything from ~76 to 832MHz?

Any ideas? :cry:

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: No tuner found error? SDR not working!

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:29 am

Do you have a link to the dongle you bought?

If you have a R820T tuner model, rtl_test will say no E4000 found and that is fine and normal.

Not sure what is wrong with your Windows set up and not seeing the frequency tuner...did you try go through the Quickstart Guide on this blog and install SDR#?

fonestar

Post by fonestar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:29 am

This is the dongle I bought:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/E4000-USB-DVB-T- ... 3f29fe8197

Also in the examples I see online, "rtl_test" produces many different gain levels available (most examples had 29). Mine seems to have no gain levels and no tuner.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 am

Okay that dongle you bought is an R820T tuner. Some dodgy sellers on Ebay are misleading customers by putting E4000 in their titles, when in fact it is a R820T dongle.

There's nothing wrong with the R820T though, and in most cases it is actually better than the E4000. It's just that the E4000 is rare now and usually costs around $100 USD.

So when you run "rtl_test -t" you'll get the message no E4000 tuner found. That's normal. I attached a picture of what you should see.

When you tried it on Windows what software did you use? Did you remember to adjust the gain settings? Can you explain further what you mean when you say that you "cannot change frequencies"?
Attachments
rtl_test_-t.png
rtl_test_-t.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 8747 times