IP Address Format & Source

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
jkreski

IP Address Format & Source

Post by jkreski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Greetings!

I am trying to properly configure software both on my Android Phone and Windows 10 PC connected with an Ethernet cable to our router. I failed. Here is what I HAVE been able to do:

* Install and run SDR#
* Install and run SDRSpy
* Configure SDR# to run using SDRSpy as the input instead of my normal RTLSDR.

The settings that I use are of the format:
100.100.100.100 5555

The 100's are made up so I don't expose my actual IP numbers. I was able to find instructions on Google as to how to find the IP address using Windows 10, IPConfig and netstat -a. That got me to the 100's. The 5555 was the default in the SDR# software and just works there.

However, when I use any other software app on my phone or PC none of them are allowed to connect to the SDRSpy server.

Can you help me understand this last piece of magic? Is the 555 the TCP Port? If not, what is it. Either way, where do I obtain that from in Windows 10?

Softwares on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Android phone include:
* Rtl0sdr Driver (installed) RTL-SDR works when attached via cable to the phone. We have an internet router at home.
* SDRTouch
* glSDR
* SDRoid

Thank you,

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: IP Address Format & Source

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 pm

It's not quite clear what you're trying to do. I assume you're trying to run your RTL-SDR on your phone, and connect to it via a PC?

SpyServer and rtl_tcp are two different servers, and their not compatible with each other.

The RTL-SDR driver on Android uses rtl_tcp. So once you have that running on your phone, in SDR# you need to select RTL-SDR (TCP) in the drop down menu. Then connect to your phones IP address with that.

The last four digits is the TCP port.

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Is the RTL-SDR plugged into your PC's USB port?

Are you trying to connect from your Android phone to a server on your PC?

Is your PC running a firewall?

jkreski

Post by jkreski » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 am

Yes, the RTLSDR is plugged into a USB port extender - 8:1, powered. Works fine for years for all else...

Yes, there is a firewall.

Yes, I am running the server on the PC and using an Android app to access it. Other apps on my phone work fine with PC data since the phone is authorized user of the home network that the PC is hanging off of. Also, if I go into the firewall to allow an exception, it would have to allow ANYONE in and not just me with my app via the phone, correct?

Thanks for the questions and your time...

Jon K. - AB9NN

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

On the PC you'd need to run an rtl_tcp server. Then in the Android app called SDR Touch you should be able to connect to it over the network by entering your PC's IP address and the port used on rtl_tcp.

There's no apps on Android compatible with SpyServer yet.