Fix for Windows 10 unrecognized RTL-SDR

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
bobasaurus

Fix for Windows 10 unrecognized RTL-SDR

Post by bobasaurus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:53 am

If you're using Windows 10 with an RTL-SDR, you might run into a connection/unrecognized device issue even after installing the driver in Zadig normally. Most radio programs will report a device connection error, and if they show the full error it is a libusb -12 code.

It turns out that Windows 10 defaults to treating the RTL-SDR as a "composite" device and auto installs its own driver for it. In Zadig You need to check "list all devices", uncheck "ignore hubs or composite parents", and then replace the RTL2832UHIDIR (or similar) composite parent driver with WinUSB. Here are some screenshots of the process:

I figured this out after a lot of googling and trial and error, thought it would be helpful to someone so I made an account to post this. I have tested this on four separate windows 10 computers, and it works great on all of them. If it's useful, maybe this post could be stickied or the like. The answer is mentioned in the rtl-sdr.com quick start troubleshooting guide, but it is pretty buried and not very well explained.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Fix for Windows 10 unrecognized RTL-SDR

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks. I use Windows 10 on multiple PCs and have never come across that problem before. But i've added it to the QSG step 8 just in case other people experience the same issue.

bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 am
Thanks. I use Windows 10 on multiple PCs and have never come across that problem before. But i've added it to the QSG step 8 just in case other people experience the same issue.
So far the issue has cropped up on each win 10 machine I've tried (at work and at home), new installations on all of them. They were all laptops, three dell one lenovo... not sure if that matters, could be related with the USB controller used on laptop motherboards? I'm using NooElec dongles, maybe they're a bit different than the ones sold here? The default settings on Zadig want to install the driver for two separate "bulk in" interfaces, which has worked on older versions of Windows for me, but caused this issue on win 10 until I did the composite parent driver install.

LukeRen0123

Post by LukeRen0123 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:05 am

On my lenovo ideapad 330 and my old Ispiron N4010 it says that "a USB Device conected to this computer has malfunctioned" my lenovo goes further and says its a driver error, i tried using zadig but the RTLSDR Doesnt show up