Another Stopped Dongle with a twist

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
n3hkn

Another Stopped Dongle with a twist

Post by n3hkn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm

My USB RTL-SDR dongle stopped being recognized by several of the programs designed to use it. Believing it was faulty I bought a new unit. Same thing. I have several of the recommended programs and none work with the unit. A few do display its presence but then they either simply disappear or lockup.

I am running the latest Windows 10, 4.3ghz, 8gb, Z77 mother board. Controllers for my Lockheed Martin flight sim work, as does a USB solid state disk, as well as keyboard and mouse. Rebooting, etc no help. If I focus in the popular HDSDR, which initially worked fine with the RTL-SDR it says that the Ext Io DLL is Not Active when I click on EXTIO. Re-downloaded , no help.
Dick N3HKN

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Another Stopped Dongle with a twist

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Faulty units are extremely rare, and in 99% of all the cases reports about a faulty dongle are actually just Windows software issues.

Most likely Windows overwrote your drivers during an update or via automatic windows updates. Rerun zadig and reinstall the drivers. And then disable automatic windows driver updates.

n3hkn

Re: Another Stopped Dongle with a twist HELP!!!!

Post by n3hkn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 am

I ran ZADIAG and lost all mouse control/contact. Is there a way to restore the mouse or do I have to reinstall Windows 10??!!!! I have all of my records on that PC.Please help.......
Dick N3HKN

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 am

If that happened then you would have used zadig to replace the mouse/keyboard driver with the SDR one... You can't just blindly click around in driver install programs like zadig, you need to follow the instructions carefully.

Probably if you plug in another brand of mouse, or maybe an old ps2 mouse it will work because Windows will install new drivers for it. Then you can go into device manager and uninstall the Win32 drivers that you've installed on to the mouse and keyboard, and reinstall the normal ones.

Or just do a PC rollback to before you installed the drivers.

n3hkn

Post by n3hkn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm

I finally found the pictorial installed devices menu and from there installed driver for mouse. all ok now.

bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 am

Try the win 10 fix I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2031