rtl sdr v3 bias tee driver not working

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Github

rtl sdr v3 bias tee driver not working

Post by Github » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 am

I recently built a new computer and copied all sdr softwares from my old computer, everything works fine except bias t driver. On my old computer it works without any problem, command line says found rafael rtl2832u device, then bias tee is being turned on. But when I copy this folder to my new computer, double click bias t on.bat, the window just jump out and disappear very quick, nothing happened and bias tee is not turned on :| Other softwares like sdr sharp is working pretty well, without any problem. Can anybody tell me what went wrong?

Github

Re: rtl sdr v3 bias tee driver not working

Post by Github » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:15 am

Both computers are running windows 10 with lastest update.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm

You could try to RMB and run as admin.
You could open a cmd window and change directory to where this file is and type the cmd rtlbiast. Then be able to read the error.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Are you remembering to close SDR# fully before running the bias tee software?

Github

Post by Github » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 am

Problem is solved now. I edited the cmd file, the correct command to turn on bias t should be rtl_biast -b 1 -d 1
The command to turn of should be rtl_biast -b 0 -d 1
In the original file, turn on bias tee is rtl_biast -d 0 -b 1
Turn off is rtl_biast -d 0 -b 0
Note that I change the position of -b and -d as well as the number followed by them.
I don't know why the original command works on my old computer, but it works on my new computer now anyway :)

Github

Post by Github » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:56 am

I putted my code back to the old computer and did some small changes, it now works on both computers.
The correct code should be rtl_biast -b #bias t status -d #device number
0 means bias t off and 1 means on
default device number should be 0, but I don't know which device is using number 0 on my new computer so I have to use 1
The most important thing is the sequence of -b and -d, it must be -b at first, that is really weird even I put -d at first, it still works on my old computer. Hope you guys can fix this :)

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm

If you have rtl_biast then you probably have rtl_eeprom -s ....you can change the ser# of the dongle. Help you figure out which is -d 0 -d 1 ..

tacitus42

Post by tacitus42 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am

wow, how are these bias tee drivers still not fixed in 2020?
To enable bias tee you must manually edit the batch file yourself to fix a spelling mistake basically.

And what happens when this doesn't work?

I've uninstalled/reinstalled all the drivers, i've tried editing the file so b is in front, so d is in front, using device 0, using device 1.
SDR# is off always until testing time.
Nothing works. LNA light stays off, nothing changes. bias t will not engage.
I've tried all of this with the LNA plugged in forwards and backwards, I'm ready to do a fucking rain dance now or refund.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri May 29, 2020 8:00 am

tacitus42 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am
wow, how are these bias tee drivers still not fixed in 2020?
To enable bias tee you must manually edit the batch file yourself to fix a spelling mistake basically.

And what happens when this doesn't work?

I've uninstalled/reinstalled all the drivers, i've tried editing the file so b is in front, so d is in front, using device 0, using device 1.
SDR# is off always until testing time.
Nothing works. LNA light stays off, nothing changes. bias t will not engage.
I've tried all of this with the LNA plugged in forwards and backwards, I'm ready to do a fucking rain dance now or refund.
They are working normally. In the OPs case his RTL-SDR showed up as device 1 rather than device 0 which is the default for most people, so editing the script in his case is the way to go. For most people you don't need to edit it, but the scripts are certainly there to be edited if required.

If you're on Windows, why not try the ready to use .dll driver we provided for SDR#? Then you can turn the bias tee on/off from within SDR#. https://github.com/rtlsdrblog/rtl-sdr-blog (See the Installation (Windows) instructions)

Gil08

Post by Gil08 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi,
I am using RTL SDR V3 and Sharp with Win10. I would like to use Tee Bias for my GPS antenna and I try to turn it on and off as you indicated? I have change D0 and D1 same for B; i think it's the way for the batch file.
Any idea why? Thank you