Disappearing Device on Win7

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
humblehacker

Disappearing Device on Win7

Post by humblehacker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I am attempting a standard install with an RTL2832U & R820T dongle, SDR#, Zadig etc... Something seems to be going wrong with the driver installation as the everything will seem to be working until I open SDR# and the device suddenly disappears! I have taken a series a screenshots to explain-
When I first plug the dongle in, it appears as listed in the device manager. Oddly however, it seems to be recognized as a HID device?

The properties menu also lists it as being recognized as a HID device-

Nevertheless, when I open up Zadig (as administrator) and list all devices, it appears as "Bulk-in, Interface (Interface 0)" with the VID=OBDA, PID=2838 and WinUSB selected as the driver. The driver seems to install successfully but the first time I try to run SDR# it doesn't find the device-

Once this happens, I get an "Unrecognized USB Device" Alert-

and sure enough, it no longer appears in the device manager! If I open up Zadig again, it no longer has the "Bulk-in, Interface (Interface 0)" option-

and if I try SDR# again it simply has nothing to select in the dropdown menu instead of an error code-

The device will remain unrecognized if I try to reinsert it in the same, or any other USB port. It will only reappear in the Device Manager if I reinstall all the SDR# software and reboot the computer. Even then, the same cycle begins anew... I've tried erasing reinstalling the drivers but this didnt seem to have an effect. Is there any way to start over with a clean install and start anew?

One last detail... I had been using an older dongle that on further inspection turned out to have an Elonics E4000 tuner. The setup seemed to work fine for it but it had a PAL output and wouldnt work with my antenna setup. I could try it again to see if it works but I'm afriad it will screw up my system even more...

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Disappearing Device on Win7

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:07 pm

This is strange. I've seen some configurations of Windows where Windows constantly tries to update zadig's driver with it's own. Can you try turning off Windows automatic driver updates? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/ ... wsignin1.0.

Also what driver does it show in device manager? It should show up as libusb.info, version 6.1.7600.16385.

I think the HID device you're seeing is the IR receiver on the dongle.

Is it a new dongle you just received? Can you try it on another PC? I'd try your older E4000 on the same PC as well. If that works, then it could indicate that the R820T you have is faulty.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:08 pm

I'd try your older E4000 on the same PC as well. If that works, then it could indicate that the R820T you have is faulty.
Oh No!!! I think you're right!!! The new dongle hasn't worked on anything I have, including Windows with SDR#, Linux with GNURadio or Raspberry Pi running Adafruit's FreqShow! When I just tried all of the above with the older Elonics dongle, they all worked fine. I had even reinstalled everything earlier thinking it was just a driver problem...
While it was a generic dongle, it was also distributed by NooElec, so perhaps I'll at least get through to customer support...
The product was purchased from this listing on Amazon-http://amzn.com/B00C37AZXK

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:54 pm

If it's from Amazon then it should be pretty easy to get a full refund if the item is faulty. There's about a 1% failure rate with these units so it's not super uncommon to hear of a faulty one.

phred.d.elder

Post by phred.d.elder » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 pm

I am having the same issue on a Dell desktop. Dongle works on a laptop running windows 7 64 bit. I suspect there is a problem with the winusb driver, but I have not been able to replace your update it directly. I have gone so far as to install the MS driver development kit in an attempt to get a driver. Included in the tool is a program to view internal states of attached USB devices. There are a couple of internal settings that DDK flags as not proper values (am not currently at computer so this is from memory...Sorry) that might be part of the problem.

In any case, I am extremely frustrated in the inability to make this work. There's 5 computers on my desk and the two that could work won't (my Linux box just died 10 minutes ago trying to install gnuradio...). Am looking for insight where to go next. Am about to try a 64 bit install on the machine to see if this works...

Thanks for the information

Phred

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 pm

phred.d.elder wrote:I am having the same issue on a Dell desktop. Dongle works on a laptop running windows 7 64 bit. I suspect there is a problem with the winusb driver, but I have not been able to replace your update it directly. I have gone so far as to install the MS driver development kit in an attempt to get a driver. Included in the tool is a program to view internal states of attached USB devices. There are a couple of internal settings that DDK flags as not proper values (am not currently at computer so this is from memory...Sorry) that might be part of the problem.

In any case, I am extremely frustrated in the inability to make this work. There's 5 computers on my desk and the two that could work won't (my Linux box just died 10 minutes ago trying to install gnuradio...). Am looking for insight where to go next. Am about to try a 64 bit install on the machine to see if this works...

Thanks for the information

Phred
Have you been through our quickstart guide? www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg

What step exactly are you getting stuck on?