Cannot play SDR Sharp once it's loaded up

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Zoom123

Cannot play SDR Sharp once it's loaded up

Post by Zoom123 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm

I have a 100KHz to 1.7 GHz full band UV RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver R820 + 8232 device. I installed SDR Sharp v1.0.0.1672 under Windows 7 Pro (32bit) and updated Microsoft Net.Framework to v4.6. Ran install-rtlsdr.bat, ran zadig.exe, and selected Bulk-In Interface (Interface 0). Then installed driver WinUSB (v6.1.7600.1635), which the system tells me installed correctly. I open SDR Sharp, select RTL-SDR (USB), then click the play button, but it won’t start and immediately goes back to the ‘right arrow’ symbol. I don’t get any error message.

I also have an Auzeuner RTL-SDR dongle RTL2832U + R820T2 TCXO tuner device which runs absolutely fine in the same software. Ditto a HackRF.

Any clues as to where I’m going wrong please?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Cannot play SDR Sharp once it's loaded up

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 am

Unfortunately if your other RTL-SDR is working fine, then it's probably bad hardware. From what i've seen those dual input devices have a high fault rate.

Can you confirm by trying to run rtl_test from the command line? You can download the windows version from https://osmocom.org/projects/rtl-sdr/wiki/Rtl-sdr, just "CTRL+F" for Windows.

Zoom123

Post by Zoom123 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I have now successfully run rtl_test.exe and here's what I see, which I think tends to suggest the device is working:-

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values... blah blah blah...

Not sure where I go from here!

Tried plugging the AUZEUNER RTL-SDR USB Dongle back in again, and that still works fine, which suggests to me that the SDR Sharp prgramme is still installed ok.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:38 am

Hmm rtl_test seems to indicate that it's working okay. But I have seen one or two devices that poll okay with rtl_test, but fail once data transfers begin. I'd simply request a replacement from the seller and see if the replacement works any better.