sharp sdr# does not show a devise in conroller box.

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
pivi

sharp sdr# does not show a devise in conroller box.

Post by pivi » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:13 pm

I have installed sharp sdr# successfully on my windows10 PC. I also changed the USB-driver as described.
However starting the software there appears the message "no device selected".The SDR conroller shows in the right upper corner "E4000". In the grey line under the word device there is no entry.
Can anyone advise me what is wrong with my installation?
Thank you for any help!

Radiohead67

Re: sharp sdr# does not show a device in conroller box.

Post by Radiohead67 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 pm

I'mm having the identical problem; however, I am able to use the dongle with HDSDR, so it appears to have the correct drivers installed. I have executed the install-rtlsdr.bat normally and as an administrator and there is no rtlsdr.dll the folder. I have manually inserted ExtIO_RTL2832.dll to no avail.

Any assistance to my colleague and me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

pivi

Re: sharp sdr# does not show a devise in conroller box.

Post by pivi » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Bob, first of all A Happy New Year to you. It seems that not only we both have this problem. It is very difficult to get support with for this kind of equipment. Meanwhile I have tried a lot different things I have read on other internet forums, but non of the trials worked out to be the solution to our problem. Maybe my computer is problem. But how to find out??
Greetings from Austria.

Radiohead67

Post by Radiohead67 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Frӧhliches Neues Jahr!

I believe I've figured it out. The solution is actually given in the FAQ's. Prior to trying this, I also upgraded C++ and to Net 4.6. Neither action appeared to make a difference.

The solution is listed under the question, "When I run install-rtlsdr.bat a CMD/DOS window flashes on the screen briefly then disappears. Nothing is installed."

Follow the URL at the end of the entry which will take you to step 1, shown below.

Download the RTL-SDR Drivers, and extract the files from the x32 folder into the SDR# folder, replacing any files if it asks:
://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/raw-attachment/ ... ebInfo.zip

Good luck!

Bob

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:00 am

Some computers that are badly miconfigured or have bad antivirus programs running may have problems running simple Windows batch files. The solutions are to either figure out what is wrong with your PC, or do a manual installation of the drivers as described in the troubleshooting section on our quickstart guide as you found.

I think misconfigured PCs that have trouble running batch files are pretty rare, but this problem does seem to pop up every now and then.

Dumbme

Post by Dumbme » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Same problem here with Win 8.1, tried the technique mentioned in above post.
No working dongle afterwards though.
I'm expecting another dongle in the mail, I will report results then.

hamiam

Post by hamiam » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:24 am

I believe I have a similar, or the same, problem.

I have the RTL-SDR as pictured: http://rtlsdrblog.rtlsdrblog.netdna-cdn ... _site2.jpg

The config window, when I bring it up, shows E4000, not R820T, as pictured in the Quick-Start Guide, and there are no devices in the drop-down. I'm curious about this, as this page shows the E4000 as an "ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle". Well, maybe it used to be called that? Or, the RTL-SDR is that device, except repackaged without all the TV stuff?

Computer is a Lenovo X201 tablet, Win7 Pro 64 bit, fully updated, with Microsoft Security Essentials installed. All operations performed while logged in as an admin.

I know the dongle works, as I can plug it in to my Linux machine, and serve it to the network using rtl_tcp, and operate it using SDR# on the X201.

The install-sdr.bat didn't successfully invoke zadig.exe, but did download the Osmocom drivers. I also re-tried after manually downloading the drivers. I've been running zadig manually. I also downloaded the latest Zadig directly and tried that. I get only the same result - no device found in SDR#.

Possibly, the attached zadig.log will help? (Nevermind; phpBB won't let me upload/attach a file with extension ".log" and it's 953 lines, so I won't embed it here, unless someone wants to see it.) Ignore the installation of bulk device 1 - hey, I'll try anything to see what happens. I've done this with just device 0, and just device 1 too. I've also tried all 4 of the available drivers listed when running zadig. I've tried letting Windows install drivers, and then just re-installing the device 0. I've tried removing the drivers for all the listed interfaces in the device manager, and then installing WinUSB using zadig. I've even tried using Windows device manager to install the drivers, after having zadig extract the files. Same results.

Looking at the zadig.log, it's reporting successful installation of the driver.

I'm quite flummoxed here. I'll also include what Linux tells me about the device. (Is there a Win7 equivalent to lsusb?)

From /var/log/messages, when plugging it in:

Code: Select all

Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=2838
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: Product: RTL2838UHIDIR
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: SerialNumber: 00000001
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' in warm state
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson mtp-probe: checking bus 5, device 6: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb5/5-1"
Mar 24 20:50:28 robinson mtp-probe: bus: 5, device: 6 was not an MTP device
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (Realtek RTL2832U reference design)
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: r820t 4-001a: creating new instance
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: r820t 4-001a: Rafael Micro r820t successfully identified
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: Registered IR keymap rc-empty
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: input: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb5/5-1/rc/rc7/input26
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: rc7: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb5/5-1/rc/rc7
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu) as /devices/virtual/input/input27
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: rc rc7: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu) registered at minor = 0
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: dvb_usb_v2: schedule remote query interval to 400 msecs
Mar 24 20:50:29 robinson kernel: usb 5-1: dvb_usb_v2: 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' successfully initialized and connected
and

Code: Select all

$ lsusb -v -d 0BDA:2838

Bus 005 Device 006: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
  idProduct          0x2838 RTL2838 DVB-T
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Realtek
  iProduct                2 RTL2838UHIDIR
  iSerial                 3 00000001
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          2
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4 USB2.0-Bulk&Iso
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              5 Bulk-In, Interface
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              5 Bulk-In, Interface
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      2
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
I notice in /var/log/messages, the reference to Rafael Micro r820t. Is there some way for me to look for this in Win7?

I also notice that in the driver details, the publisher for the WinUSB driver for interface 0 is Microsoft, not Osmocom. However, the version looks correct to me. Possibly, if there's a way to dump this to a text file and post it, I could do that, if it'd help. I hate GUIs for sysadmin work. :)

TIA for any help.
Attachments
2832_no_device.png
2832_no_device.png (53.1 KiB) Viewed 29931 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

About your Windows install, if you install a driver to interface 1, some programs (I think SDR# does this) will actually default to try and use that device...which is the IR LED remote control interface on the dongle (not used for SDR). You need to make absolutely sure that there is no WinUSB driver installed on interface 1, it must ONLY be installed on interface 0. Upload a screenshot of your zadig screen if you can.

Also, can you confirm that rtlsdr.dll is in your SDR# folder?

Try download the Osmocom Windows rtl-sdr tools from their site, and run rtl_test in command prompt.

All RTL-SDR's like our RTL-SDR.com ones are repurposed DVB-T dongles with the RTL2832U chipset in them. But some brands like us make some special hardware changes to make them much better for SDR use. The E4000 is the older chipset used in some dongles, the R820T is the newer one, but the screen in SDR# you are seeing is what you see by default when no dongle is properly detected.

hamiam

Post by hamiam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:58 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:About your Windows install, if you install a driver to interface 1, some programs (I think SDR# does this) will actually default to try and use that device...which is the IR LED remote control interface on the dongle (not used for SDR). You need to make absolutely sure that there is no WinUSB driver installed on interface 1, it must ONLY be installed on interface 0. Upload a screenshot of your zadig screen if you can.
For almost all of my attempts, I have had no driver on interface 1. I tried it only because I was curious whether it would matter. It is good to know what it is.
Also, can you confirm that rtlsdr.dll is in your SDR# folder?
Confirmed.
Try download the Osmocom Windows rtl-sdr tools from their site, and run rtl_test in command prompt.
rtl_test is present, from the SDR# installation.
All RTL-SDR's like our RTL-SDR.com ones are repurposed DVB-T dongles with the RTL2832U chipset in them. But some brands like us make some special hardware changes to make them much better for SDR use. The E4000 is the older chipset used in some dongles, the R820T is the newer one, but the screen in SDR# you are seeing is what you see by default when no dongle is properly detected.
Good to know, thank you.

Using control panel, I removed the driver for interface 1, and then ran rtl_test. I have also tried rtl_test previously, before I ever tried interface 1 - that is, when I installed exactly as in the quick start, with no previous Windows drivers installed, with the same result.

Thank you for your assistance.
Attachments
rtlsdrdll.png
rtlsdrdll.png (36.82 KiB) Viewed 29910 times
zadig.png
zadig.png (41.29 KiB) Viewed 29910 times
rtl_test.png
rtl_test.png (287.61 KiB) Viewed 29910 times

hamiam

Post by hamiam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Got it working. Re-downloaded the drivers from Osmocom. FWIW, it appears the current drivers downloaded by the SRD# install-rtlsdr.bat aren't correct, at least for some installations. Yes, I had previously tried different drivers, direct download from Osmocom. Well, I don't know. :roll: Even on a 64-bit machine, I did use the x32 drivers.

When I look at that bat file, it would appear to be downloading exactly what I downloaded manually. When the bat file ran, it did appear to succesfully run httpget.

Well, anyways, thanks for the information.