How to get started on R Pi buster?

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
djh

How to get started on R Pi buster?

Post by djh » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Apologies for the basic noob question, but can anybody point me to some how-to-get-started instructions for dummies?

I've just bought an RTL-SDR v3 and want to connect it to an R.Pi 3B+ running buster. I want to use it to detect and locate some interference with a 433 MHz logging system.

I know nothing about SDR in general and RTL-SDR in particular. I do know about linux in general and a little about the pi in particular. (I'm more used to zypper than apt-get.) At present the pi is connected to a display and running X; I'd like eventually to be able to run the radio headless as a collection device and analyse the results later.

I gather I need to install a driver for the device. I can probably figure out how to do that but if the instructions started with that it would be a nice bonus :)

I then need some application to drive the device and analyse the results. I've read the RTL-SDR list and had chosen GQRX but am put off by its apparent lack of support for buster. So I'm looking for alternatives, or a how-to make GQRX work with buster.

TIA for any help.

hotpaw2

Re: How to get started on R Pi buster?

Post by hotpaw2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 pm

There are some instructions on how to install rtl_sdr and rtl_tcp on a Raspberry Pi and various other systems here:
http://www.transitiontechnologyventures ... structions

You may or may not need to install libusb first, via:
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

rtl_tcp allows one to use a Raspberry Pi headless. I use rtl_tcp to stream raw IQ data from my Raspberry Pi 3B+ or Pi 4 to my iPhone or iPad, running my rtl_tcp SDR iOS app, or Transition Technologies SDR Receiver iOS app. Both are compatible with the latest iOS (and macOS) releases.

djh

Post by djh » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks. I just noticed your reply. I hope I've got notifications sorted out now :)

So I got rtl-sdr installed and rtl_test runs OK. I'm not sure what my next step is to actually be able to use the device on the pi?

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:22 pm

I would install gnuradio companion and gqrx. Then run volk_profile...after that run gqrx. It's a radio app.
Or you can try the suite of apps that came with rtl_test....like rtl_fm ...etc

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:24 pm

If you have an iOS or Android mobile phone or tablet, there are multiple apps available that allow you to stream signals from a Raspberry Pi running rtl_tcp on the Pi, to the app on your handheld.

K3RLD

Post by K3RLD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:00 pm

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Half way down this page is the quick start guide for linux.