Nvidia HDMI audio problems

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Kneepuck

Nvidia HDMI audio problems

Post by Kneepuck » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:10 am

I am running Windows 7 with an Nvidia video card and trying to use the Hdmi audio from the card to my audio amp.
The audio is fine on the system but when I try to load Sdrsharp I get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.
Is this an issue with a workaround , or will I need to install a sound card?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Kneepuck

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Nvidia HDMI audio problems

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:37 am

Does the audio device show up in Windows sound settings?

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Not sure if that applies to your situation, but you can get a same error message when trying to use an rtl-sdr without running install_rtlsdr.bat first.

Kneepuck

Post by Kneepuck » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The sound card does show up, and I did run the .bat file.
The thing is, the audio routes through my amplifier through the hdmi video cable. It bypasses the sound card completely.
The sound card is a Creative Audigy Platinum Pro II with an external breakout box.
By setting all of the services for the computer to manual , using Administrative Tools/Services, I can get the Sdrsharp to load without errors.. But that basically disables everything until I actually call that service when I am using it. So it may work for a while, but until I figure out where the conflict is, it is not a workable solution. Sdrsharp does report no PA when I try to listen to anything in that configuration though, which indicates it would run without a sound card, but that is just a guess.
Also, it seems to want to controll ALL serial ports, even if I set the one I need for my PTZ camera to port 14. If I have PTZ running, I get a port error from Sdrsharp after which I get the Program error referred to in my OP.
Strangely enough, if I run FMP.EXE from the DSD directory in the Sdrsharp directory, it plays audible static and show a waveform.
I admit to being out of ideas.
*****EDIT*****
Okay, I got it working.
The solution was to run a disk check which fixed an error on the drive. Then I followed up with a very useful command line utility called SFC.EXE.
SFC stands for System File Checker and it is built in to several windows versions. It found a number of corrupted files and it repaired them.
So now, not only does Sdr# work, my computer runs better. I should have tried this in the first place, would have saved me a lot of time. All that being said, I worked out a procedure to help identify problems like this. So I may be able to help someone else with problems similar in nature.

Username

Post by Username » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I would make a Backup off all your Data when something get Corrupt that sound not good. :shock: