downloading CubicSDR to Raspberry Pi 4

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
novice144

downloading CubicSDR to Raspberry Pi 4

Post by novice144 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Can someone direct me to step-by-step instructions for downloading CubicSDR to a Raspberry Pi 4 for use with the rtl-sdr v.3? The CubicSDR site is confusing by itself and seems to lead to other sites like posthosware and github and the directions aren't clear. When I tried one of the steps in the linux build directions, the response in Terminal was "unable to fetch some archives"; when I tried to download from pothosware the response was that I don't have access. Need step-by-step directions. Thanks.

tim_rtd

Re: downloading CubicSDR to Raspberry Pi 4

Post by tim_rtd » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:41 pm

I actually found the cubicsdr app in the add/remove software tab on my Pi4. It works....running buster I think

novice144

Post by novice144 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Wow, that is awesome... It was hiding in plain sight!
I found it and it has the file name cubicsdr-0.2.5+dfsg-1.
I clicked Apply and OK and it says it downloaded and installed. However, it's not in the downloads folder. It's still visible under the Add/Subtract Software tab, but I can't see where it downloaded. Does this mean it's not actually downloading?
When I type a cd or ./ command in Terminal, it says file not found.
When I right click on it in the Add/Subtract folder, it says it needs 154 additional packages to run correctly, but when I click OK nothing happens.
Any suggestion from here?
Many thanks.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Click your raspberry in the upper left and look under other.
Also you may just type CubicSDR on the cmd line.

novice144

Post by novice144 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:22 pm

Well, something is wrong but I don't understand what it is.
It looks like it's not downloading.
When I put cubicsdr in the command line, the response is "bash: cubicsdr: command not found"
When I put cd cubicsdr in the command line, the response is "bash: cd: No such file or directory"
Under Preferences, Add/Subtract Software, it looks like it's still queuing for download even though it says it's downloading and installing when I click Apply and OK. If it were downloaded, it would have a check in the box, but it still has a + indicating that it's waiting to download.
I don't have an "Other" tab under the Raspberry, but I do have one under Preferences, Add/Remove Software, but Cubicsdr is not located there. It's located under Preferences, Add/Remove Software, Communication. But it doesn't seem to be downloading or installing, even though it says "downloading, installing" when I click OK and apply.
Seems to be stuck...

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 pm

1. Try the exact spelling CubicSDR ..... no ./ stuff...on a cmd line you can also type Cu ..hit the tab a couple times and it will offer alternative .... linux is case sensitive
2 Anything under that rasperry icon is already installed..in general

I'll be watching.... I'm pretty sure you said it installed during the add/remove software section...It doesn't go into Downloads during this type install.....this way usually ends up in /bin or /usr/bin

Its possible that perhaps you need to do update
Also type software install gqrx ....this is another app and gnuradio will install too..

novice144

Post by novice144 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:02 pm

Okay, thanks.
There's no sign of it in bin or in usr/bin.
When I type CubicSDR in the Terminal, the reply is "bash: CubicSDR: command not found"
I've tried with various upper and lower case combinations.
If I just type Cu and hit tab once or twice, nothing happens, it sits there waiting for the next letter.
I have gqrx already. I installed it 2-3 weeks ago using a guide I found on line. It gets great reception on FM but it overheats and shuts down, so I am interested in trying CubicSDR.
I tried to download CubicSDR using the instructions in Kenn Ranous's online manual, but it didn't work, as described in my first post. A few minutes ago I deleted those downloads in case they were interfering with the CubicSDR file under the Preferences tab, which may already have been downloaded. I still have cubicsdr-0.2.5+dfsg-1 under my add/remove software tab, and it still gives a plus sign when I check it, which I think means it's queued to download even though it's supposed to have downloaded already.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am

I don't have any alt distros right now, but I do remember a software loader in which you had to select, then apply, then OK.

novice144

Post by novice144 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:26 pm

I thought I'd make a fresh stab this weekend....
I have CubicSDR under the Preferences/Add-Subtract software tab, but when I select CubicSDR and click apply and ok, it says it downloads and installs, but I don't see any indication that it really downloads or installs. If I click apply or ok again, it just repeats that it is downloading and installing.
Also tried to install it from the CubicSDR.com site following instructions in Kenn Ranous's guide. I downloaded the program marked CubicSDR-0.2.5-x86_64.AppImge. This program is now visible in my pi/Downloads folder. When I right click on it per directions in Kenn's manual, under Properties/Permissions I can set 3 fields -- View Content, Set Content, Execute -- but I don't have an option that says "Allow executing this file as a program," as it says in his manual. When I go to Terminal and type the name of the file -- CubicSDR-0.2.5-x86_64.AppImage -- the response is command not found.
Any suggestion from here?
Thanks.

novice144

Re: downloading CubicSDR and Unitrunker to Raspberry Pi 4

Post by novice144 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Okay so I've given up now on trying to download CubicSDR to Raspberry Pi 4. I'm making do with GQRX. This time, I thought I'd try to download software from unitrunker.com. The tutorial says to download it and click on the add new receiver button(+). Where is this button supposed to appear, and why don't I have one? When I click to open unitrunker, I get a window asking me what app I want to use to open "Windows Installer Package." How does this work and what should I choose? There are some sites on line that say I need an exegear license to be able to download unitrunker on a Pi, but I've also read that exagear licenses are no longer available. Is there some substitute for exagear that I need in order to be able to open programs like Unitrunker and CubicSDR on a Raspberry Pi 4?? Why don't I have an "add new receiver" button, or where should I find it?