Bias tee not turning off

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
kevtheskin

Bias tee not turning off

Post by kevtheskin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Hello there,
Just bought a Mla-30 magnetic loop and wanted to use my rtl v3 bias tee to power it up. I used the batch file to turn it on and found no differnce witht the signals. I turnd off the bias tee and still the same. I checked the voltage at antenna socket and found the voltage does not turn off. I just read that there was a faulty batch 2018-19 and that rtlsdr would replace it. Does anyone here know the admins to find out if there is a fix. Really like this dongle and keeps me from cracking up during the lockdown. Cheers 73s Kev Stay safe

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Bias tee not turning off

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:24 am

There was about 300 units from the 2018/8 batch that had faulty silicon etching in the LDO chip which means that the bias tee is stuck on. If that yours contact us at [email protected] with a photo of the dongles batch date sticker.

In daily operation, it doesn't really matter if the bias tee is stuck on, unless you are using a DC short circuit antenna (even then really it's still fine, since the thermal fuse will limit any current). With a powered antenna like the MLA-30 it's fine. So you can continue to use that dongle too.