Not able to access RTL-SDR usb device

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
yoyojosh

Not able to access RTL-SDR usb device

Post by yoyojosh » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Hello,

I just received the RTL-SDR.COM USB dongle, from Amazon. I got it setup and working just fine for about an hour with my windows machine, but then the USB device disconnected (in software) which crashed SDR#. Now my machine is no longer able to "find" the USB device.

My setup below:

Win 7 64bit, RTL-SDR v.3, SDR# ver.1.0.0.1765, Source: RTL-SDR(USB)

I've looked for the USB device with Device Manager as well as the Zadig program, but no luck.

I also tried attaching the dongle to a MacMini and Windows 10 machine, and neither are able to identify the USB device.

I notice after plugging in the USB dongle that it warms up what I expect is a normal operating temperature. No smoke and it doesn't overload the USB port. Any other trouble shooting steps I should take or should I try to get a replacement? (I'm comfortable troubleshooting at the component level)

Thanks!
Josh

yoyojosh

Re: Not able to access RTL-SDR usb device

Post by yoyojosh » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Well I was too excited to get running again so I poked around a little. The OUTPUT of the 3V3 regulator is only 0.8V. It appears there's a short across 3V3 to GND, as the resistance of this rail is 76 ohms.

Any idea what normally fails first on the 3V3 rail?

weathersatelite

Post by weathersatelite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:50 am

i am using win 10 and sdr# no longer sees my dongle. i reinstalled drivers. it does show up in cubicsdr though. but when i click start it shows a empty blank non moving water fall. it might have failed i have not herd anything on the forum to my problem. although my dongle i got back in january.

weathersatelite

Post by weathersatelite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 am

and for zadick program you mention you have to go under views and click view all. it will shoow up a 1 somehting or 2 or uihdr read the quickstart guid first you have to click on uighdr or one of the other 2 I DO NOT REMIMBER WICH ONE IS CORRECT BULK 1 OR 2 CHECDK RTL-SDR.COM/QSG FIRST!!!!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

If you suspect an actual hardware fault (which is rare), please do contact us at [email protected] and we will sort out a replacement.