Raspberry PI 3 rpi 3 SDRSHARP SDR#

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
OverKill

Raspberry PI 3 rpi 3 SDRSHARP SDR#

Post by OverKill » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 pm

Raspberry Pi 3 model B - https://www.adafruit.com/products/3055
Raspbian Jessie
RTL2832 w/R820T - https://www.adafruit.com/product/1497

I have a few RPi v3 model B which I am putting together several purpose built OS configurations for. This one in particular is to be deployed in my van as a communication gadget. The OS is already configured with Chirp for flashing my HAM and Commercial radios. Now onto the SDR.

At this time all of the examples I have have found for getting SDRSharp to run on the Pi with this usb SDR are a bit dated. I believe I have the drivers set up properly for the chip itself, however I am encountering issues getting SDRSharp running via Mono.

Here are the steps I have taken so far and the results.

Everything for this install pertaining to its communication gadget purpose is located in the path /home/pi/radio either ham directory or sdr directory.

NOTE: These are steps I have taken on my system, which is not yet working. Know what you are doing before you execute code.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y install mono-complete
sudo apt-get -y install libportaudio2
sudo apt-get -y install cmake
sudo apt-get -y install libusb-1.0-0.dev

cd ~/radio/sdr
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
cd rtl-sdr
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON -DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

sudo pip install pyrtlsdr

sudo cp ~/radio/sdr/rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
Extracted the latest build of SDRSharp from Airspy. http://airspy.com/download/ I already had a copy from another install so I simply dropped the files into ~/radio/sdr/sdrsharp

Next, I created the following symbolic links. Note: The path to libportaudio.so.2 was unique to the Pi as compared to the instructions I found online.

ln -s /usr/local/lib/librtlsdr.so ~/radio/sdr/sdrsharp/librtlsdr.dll
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libportaudio.so.2 ~/radio/sdr/sdrsharp/libportaudio.so
To test if my chip is communicating I executed the following command.

rtl_test -t
Here are the results.

Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Detached kernel driver
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6 
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
No E4000 tuner found, aborting.
Reattached kernel driver

So everything looks alright here. Now I attempt to run sdrsharp.

mono ~/radio/sdr/sdrsharp/SDRSharp.exe
Here are the results.

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SDRSharp.Radio.IQBalancer' from assembly 'SDRSharp.Radio, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
  at SDRSharp.MainForm..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) SDRSharp.MainForm:.ctor ()
  at SDRSharp.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
At this point I am at a bit of a loss. Hoping someone can chime in to assist me in resolving this issue and this post can be updated to serve as a guide to those wishing to use the new Pi 3 with SDRSharp. Thank you in advance!

Aussie Susan

Re: Raspberry PI 3 rpi 3 SDRSHARP SDR#

Post by Aussie Susan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:00 am

I don't like "me too" posts but I'm getting exactly the same result when running SDRSharp.exe on a Raspberry Pi with the latest install of Jessie (built yesterday) and other layered software.
Are there any options or has there been any progress in getting this sorted out?
Thanks
Susan

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry PI 3 rpi 3 SDRSHARP SDR#

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:43 am

You guys might want to try asking on the #airspy IRC channel on Freenode. That's where the SDR# dev hangs around.

Although Mono compatible SDR# is not really made for Linux and i'm unsure how well it will run even if you do get it to work. The alternatives you could try are CubicSDR or GQRX.