I can receive only FM stations

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Eagle115

I can receive only FM stations

Post by Eagle115 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 pm

After listening several times I can only receive local FM stations. I think that even with the standard indoor antenna I should at least be able to "see" other frequencies although they might be too weak to "hear". I did the standard download and have an RTL2832U dongle.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: I can receive only FM stations

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 am

Checked that you have increased the gain setting on the dongle?

kiwicolin

Post by kiwicolin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:25 pm

I have exactly the same issue. My gain is fully up as well. I cannot even receive anything on the am broadcast band only the fm breaodcast band, everything else is only static.
Did you ever resolve your issue?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:39 am

kiwicolin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:25 pm
I have exactly the same issue. My gain is fully up as well. I cannot even receive anything on the am broadcast band only the fm breaodcast band, everything else is only static.
Did you ever resolve your issue?
For the AM BC band, did you remember to set your dongle to run in the direct sampling Q-branch mode?

vinloren

Post by vinloren » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:33 am

I have the same problem, I am using a RTL-SDR Dongle V3 Pro with supplied antenna in my apartment I just can receive local FM stations and nothing more. I am interested in receiving HF broadcast but despite I set Direct sampling (Q branch) I can't receive anytging on the entire HF band. I guess I could receive something even with the supplied table antenna and now I wonder if it is worthwhile to buy a Youloop passive magnetic antenna to solve this problem..

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:44 am

V3 Pro
This is a cloned unit, so I can't offer any support if it's a hardware issue. But even if it's working fine, you do need a properly sized HF antenna for it to work.