RTL v3 and RTL-1090 stops receiving data

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
kd5giv

RTL v3 and RTL-1090 stops receiving data

Post by kd5giv » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why RTL 1090 version 3 scope receives aircraft fine and then after about 5 minutes it stops getting aircraft data. It's Windows 10 and using USB 3 plug. It didn't do that before a Windows 10 upgrade, I don't think. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't get any more data. If you close it and reopen it, it goes back to normal, for about 5 minutes. It's like a cache or memory fills up and won't allow any more data in. The planes just stop moving and the data count goes down to 0/sec. I looked on google search and I guess I am the only one having the problem. Is there a memory dump function or something with USB or RTL1090 I'm missing? Is there another free 1090 data software/receiver out there? This is fun, but I'm not buying hundreds of dollars for equipment for it.

It did start working after it was in cooler air but then stopped again. The dongle was cold still, so I don't think it's because it's overheating.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL v3 and RTL-1090 stops receiving data

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:59 am

Check if the same problem occurs with SDR# or another program to rule out a software issue.

The dongle frequently disconnecting can mean that the USB power supply on your PC is unstable. If possible also test on another PC, or try with a powered USB hub.

kd5giv

Re: RTL v3 and RTL-1090 stops receiving data

Post by kd5giv » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:59 am
Check if the same problem occurs with SDR# or another program to rule out a software issue.

The dongle frequently disconnecting can mean that the USB power supply on your PC is unstable. If possible also test on another PC, or try with a powered USB hub.
Thanks for your reply. Before I saw it I tried on another PC and it wouldn't work at all. I then used a different USB 3 extension repeater cable and it continued working for hours. Before I was using a USB 2.0 extension cable but I don't think it was a repeater cable. I'm just posting in case somebody finds the same problem. Weird on the first pc which is a laptop, SDR sharp was working ok for as long as I used it. Maybe using 1090MHz uses a little more power than 125MHz. That's the frequency I was listening to in SDR#.