Trouble receiving anything?

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
tim_rtd

Re: Trouble receiving anything?

Post by tim_rtd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Boxman,

You said....I cranked the gain up full, but see absolutely no signals, not even noise. So your seeing no trace at all..kind of like you haven't hit the start/run button for that particular app?
Please post a screen capture.
Also Linux or Windows?
If linux.....type rtl_test in cmd window.

Jen

Post by Jen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:52 am

boxman wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:46 pm
Hi All:
I purchased the NooElec NESDR Mini USB RTL-SDR & ADS-B Receiver Set, RTL2832U & R820T Tuner, MCX Input. Low-Cost Software Defined Radio Compatible with Many SDR Software Packages. R820T Tuner & ESD-Safe Antenna Input via Amazon, and installed software per the instructions on https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/. I'm using the 10 cm whip antenna, inside, which came with the package, so I'm not expecting miracles. I cranked the gain up full, but see absolutely no signals, not even noise. I attached a signal generator to a short antenna nearby, expecting at least to see a spike at its frequency, but 'nada'.
Any suggestions?
Ray 4X1RB
I just purchased the NooElec NESDR SMArt - Premium RTL-SDR w/ Aluminum Enclosure, 0.5PPM TCXO, SMA Input. RTL2832U & R820T2-Based Software Defined Radio.

It was DOA.....had to return for another one. Second one worked.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:07 am

A certain small percentage of all RTL-SDR dongles will end up being faulty. It's just that some RTL2832U chips are bad.

bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 am

boxman wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:46 pm
Hi All:
I purchased the NooElec NESDR Mini USB RTL-SDR & ADS-B Receiver Set, RTL2832U & R820T Tuner, MCX Input. Low-Cost Software Defined Radio Compatible with Many SDR Software Packages. R820T Tuner & ESD-Safe Antenna Input via Amazon, and installed software per the instructions on https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/. I'm using the 10 cm whip antenna, inside, which came with the package, so I'm not expecting miracles. I cranked the gain up full, but see absolutely no signals, not even noise. I attached a signal generator to a short antenna nearby, expecting at least to see a spike at its frequency, but 'nada'.
Any suggestions?
Ray 4X1RB
Are you running SDR#? Make sure you select "RTL-SDR (USB)" under Source, and press the triangular-shaped start button at the top. You should see noise at the very least. Select the "WFM" mode radio button, hover your cursor over the frequency area and type in the frequency of a local radio station (it is divided into four sections, 3 digits each. The left-most is GHz, then MHz, kHz, and Hz. Really it's just the total number of Hz with periods instead of commas.). Press enter to set the new frequency. Set your bandwidth to 200,000 for FM radio.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

I've just started using sharp# and am not having great luck with it,, (will work on it today) but the way to see if everything is right might be to install HDSDR.. I found it very easy to set up and run and (with a little help from here) I get great signals and the entire band (make sure in the RTL setting to change "Direct Sampling" from "Q input" to "disable") other wise you just get 0khz to 27Mhz and will not receive the rest of the bands. Follow install (use quick install) to the letter. Then try installing sdr# again.

bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 pm

radiowaz wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm
I've just started using sharp# and am not having great luck with it,, (will work on it today) but the way to see if everything is right might be to install HDSDR.. I found it very easy to set up and run and (with a little help from here) I get great signals and the entire band (make sure in the RTL setting to change "Direct Sampling" from "Q input" to "disable") other wise you just get 0khz to 27Mhz and will not receive the rest of the bands. Follow install (use quick install) to the letter. Then try installing sdr# again.
It might be the speed of your computer limiting things. SDR# is not nearly as efficient as HDSDR on older machines. If it sounds choppy and you're seeing a full core of CPU loading (25% for quad-core, 50% for dual-core, etc), your computer can't keep up with processing.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 pm

well I don't think that that is my problem A10 8 core AMD at 4ghz with 1600 ram (8gb), I get lots of band hiss but don't see much in the way of signals.. switch back and forth between Sharp# and HDSDR and doesn't even look like the same band (says it is). I will figure it out eventually, just something I'm not doing right. If I don't find it I'll be back !!

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:09 pm

So that sounds like the freq offset in SDR # is enabled. ( -125000000 ) You would use this only if you are using an up converter to listen to the HF bands...Other than that perhaps bump up the RF gain on the sharp device popup. Catches me frequently when I say to myself....where'd everyone go?