Trouble connecting the RPi3 to the KSDR

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
kuhny1

Trouble connecting the RPi3 to the KSDR

Post by kuhny1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:13 am

Im not sure if Im the only one to have had this issue or the only one who hadn't noticed it, but for those who cant seem to get the it to connect to a RPi3, there is apparently a jumper on the main board labeled JP2, remove that and see if that fixes the issue.
My KSDR had came in the case and I had not noticed it until I took it apart for curiosity. Then I saw the obvious message on the silkscreen. I found the jumper and moved it. I have yet to see if that fixed my problem, and will post an update here when I get the chance to try it.

Thanks

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Trouble connecting the RPi3 to the KSDR

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 am

Are you trying to power it via the header? At the moment we're not supporting use of the header, it's just there for advanced users who want to experiment.

If you're powering it via USB C as we recommend in the guide then there is no need to move the jumper.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 am

Oooh that's what that's for.

But anyways, I had just tested it and still nothing. It seems moving that jumper had stopped it from being powered at all. And I'm not sure if it is getting power at all through the Type C connector with or without the jumper. It lights up when the jumper is on, but I still get -ms on console area of the web interface. Sometimes all LEDs go out on the KSDR when the RPi is booting up. The KSDR stays cold even after being hooked up for hours so something is telling me it's not being powered correctly or if it is, it's not drawing anything. If I had a type c cord I could chop up, I would see if it's drawing anything.

I haven't tried it on a PC yet, and will come back when I have.

Corrosive

Post by Corrosive » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:51 am

How are you powering the kerberos?

How much current can the source supply?

My assumption based on what you mentioned so far suggest to me that your source is not supplying enough current.

I run mine with a source no lower than 2.1 amps without trouble but generally I try to use a 4-amp source.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 am

The RPi is hooked up to a usb 3.0 port and the KSDR is powered from type c connected to a supply capable of 3A

Corrosive

Post by Corrosive » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Sounds to me like you have decent power.

Just to confirm.
  • Start the Kerberos/plug it in
    Connect Kerberos to Pi
    Wait - I usually give it 1-2 min
    Power up the pi
    Wait - I'll give another 2-3 min
    Check lights on the Kerberos - blue lights should be lit

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Sounds good, I'll give it a try when I get home from work today and get back.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:40 am

So tried that, all the lights come on and then when the pi is booting up the red led flicks off then right back on while at the same time the lights on the Kerberos all go out. The red light then stays solid from then on.
Then after a while the KSDR lights back up and the red light still stays solid, but I get nothing for update rate or RX (obviously)

Now using a dedicated 2 Amp supply for the pi and a 3 Amp for the USB c. Different USB cables were tried and none of them work. I'm assuming something is wrong on the pi side, power wise, if the red led flicks off then back on.

Might just have to set up dual OSs and try on Linux. See if I can at least get any life out of it just to make sure it works to begin with.

Will continue to update.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:43 am

A 2A supply is not really enough for a Pi 3. They state a minimum of 2.5A and recommended 3A supply.

What's happening to that the pi is probably trying to pull the extra power that it needs from the KSDR over the USB, which causes it to cut out.

Perhaps try turning off all but one tuner first using the DIP switches, and seeing how many units you can get running with rtl_test.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 am

I had tried turning 3 tuners off and that does seem to stop it from browning out, however I still can't get anything to show up for update rate.
I'm going to be off for the weekend and will hook a screen up to the pi and see if anything is going to come up with rtl-test. If nothing else I will try with a regular PC just to make sure everything is working properly.