Trouble connecting the RPi3 to the KSDR

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Trouble connecting the RPi3 to the KSDR

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 pm

The software won't show any update rate if it can't see the full 4 tuners. It needs all 4 tuners there to be able to start the processing.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:56 am

Got Ubuntu installed, and had successfully gotten connected (well it locks up the entire OS after about 5 minutes though that's not the ksdrs fault obviously) so it is a problem with the Pi. Likely power related as mentioned before.

I'll hook a screen up to the pi and see whats going on. Hopefully it is just power which is fixable. I'll keep trying to fix the power issue, going as far as to hook it up to a bench supply capable of 10 Amps. Then in my final post here, I'll explain how it went.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Corrosive

Post by Corrosive » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:38 pm

kuhny1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:56 am
Got Ubuntu installed, and had successfully gotten connected (well it locks up the entire OS after about 5 minutes though that's not the ksdrs fault obviously) so it is a problem with the Pi. Likely power related as mentioned before.

I'll hook a screen up to the pi and see whats going on. Hopefully it is just power which is fixable. I'll keep trying to fix the power issue, going as far as to hook it up to a bench supply capable of 10 Amps. Then in my final post here, I'll explain how it went.

Thank you everyone for your help!
May also be worth a shot (just for the heck of it) to re-burn your SD image.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Not entirely sure what the problem is now, I had hooked up a screen and there was a power issue which i somewhat fixed (more on that later). All lights are on in the ksdr but still cant get anything out of the demo software directly on the OS (not the web interface). rtl_test does show all 4 tuners though. Which is weird because, if they show up there that means that they are connected right?

Bench supply didnt do anything. Somehow it still showed a low voltage error, the bench supply showed 1.2 Amps and then it dropped to 800mA and the sdr turned off. Soooo, guess the something is wrong with the pi. Might just have to buy a tinkerboard...

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 am

What's the max current supply of your bench supply? I'd recommend just getting the official Rpi3 power supply as that definitely works well to power the Pi3.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:42 pm

The max current it can supply is 10 Amps. I even try slightly overvolting to 5.5v to get rid of the chance of voltage drop over the cable which was only about 10cm. I'v gotten a tinkerboard in the mail. Im just happy the sdr works thats all I care about, its just a matter of messing around a bit to get it to work on a SBC.

torawarenoaya

Post by torawarenoaya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:36 pm

If this idea would be a reinventing the wheel, I apologize.
And, when you try this, please remind that this method is not guaranteed safety.

I don't have any USB-C cable which can be broke up.
Therefore, I am supplying power from my power converter to two GPIO 5v pins and GND pins of Kerberos SDR.
I used each two pins to avoid concentrating the current.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm

torawarenoaya wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:36 pm
If this idea would be a reinventing the wheel, I apologize.
And, when you try this, please remind that this method is not guaranteed safety.

I don't have any USB-C cable which can be broke up.
Therefore, I am supplying power from my power converter to two GPIO 5v pins and GND pins of Kerberos SDR.
I used each two pins to avoid concentrating the current.
Good idea. We put the header there for experimenting with alternative power methods like this.