Enabling noise source stops processing

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
kuhny1

Enabling noise source stops processing

Post by kuhny1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Sorry to be of bother again. The ksdr is now on the tinkerboard and atleast now it is connecting consistently. However I cant sync it because every time I turn on the noise source, the program stops reading samples. The update rate stops updating and will not start again unless I restart the demo software.
I would ditch the SBC idea and just re-purpose an old laptop running ubuntu but it even locks up a system with an i7-7700 up after about 2 minutes of sampling so I doubt it would fair any better. Any one have the same issue I have?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Enabling noise source stops processing

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:18 am

This usually happens when the power supply isn't sufficient. Enabling the noise source increases the power draw, so if the supply you're using isn't able to handle that, it will cause a power drop causing the units to fail.

I've found that some battery packs can't handle the sudden increase in current draw, so if you're using one of those make sure it's a high quality one that can handle 3A per port.

kuhny1

Post by kuhny1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm

It is now running on the tinkerboard.

Whats weird is that the new supply Im using can only handle 2.4A(same rating as from before) per port but it runs fine now. Maybe it was just a quality type issue.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Yeah I have seen a few "3A" rated supplies which are fake and can only really put out 1A continuously, and some really struggle with changing loads.

The Kerberos only really needs a 2A supply to power it, but the tinkerboard definitely needs a 3A supply. The Tinkerboard is known to have design issues with it's power source since they used microUSB which drops a lot of voltage due to contact resistance. So you must be careful and use a high quality 3A supply for the Tinkerboard, and a very high quality power cable. If the supply on the Tinkerboard is bad it could start pulling power from the KerberosSDR USB link which might cause issues.