Android App connection error

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
mdacosta

Android App connection error

Post by mdacosta » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm able to connect wirelessly to my tinkerbooard to play with the compass but the KerberosSDR app always shows my position in New Zealand (I'm in Canada) :lol:

Also, enabling the DOA results in a 'Error occurred for udating DOA value.'

Duppo

Re: Android App connection error

Post by Duppo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Try disabling mobile data from quick settings. Many android phones "refuse" to use wifi connection if they detect there is no actual internet behind it

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:06 am

Did you set the IP address and port in the Kerberos app settings?

And did you give it permissions to write to file when you first opened the app?

mdacosta

Post by mdacosta » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Got it figured out. The android phone I was using had not data plan on it only voice. The Kerberos app does not work on wifi only mode. Got another phone and it's now working.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 am

mdacosta wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm
Got it figured out. The android phone I was using had not data plan on it only voice. The Kerberos app does not work on wifi only mode. Got another phone and it's now working.
That's odd, it should definitely work with WiFi, there is no need for a data plan. e.g. first connect to your normal wifi, and download the map area in the app for offline use, then connect to the kerberosSDR wifi which will have no internet connection.

On some phones you might need to change the settings to prevent them from switching to the data plan if no internet is detected on the WiFi.

mdacosta

Post by mdacosta » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:12 pm

I tried a co-worker's Android (Version 8.0) and the App is working fine (Accurate position and DOA value showing).
I'm now down to a third Android phone, this one a Version 8.1 (the other ones where older Android version) and I still can't get the Kerberos App to work, meaning:

1- Pressing the Target button will not update to my location, still showing in New Zealand.
2- DOA value can't be updated.

Both phones have the same settings for Data, Location and all other I could see.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed May 01, 2019 5:16 am

mdacosta wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:12 pm
I tried a co-worker's Android (Version 8.0) and the App is working fine (Accurate position and DOA value showing).
I'm now down to a third Android phone, this one a Version 8.1 (the other ones where older Android version) and I still can't get the Kerberos App to work, meaning:

1- Pressing the Target button will not update to my location, still showing in New Zealand.
2- DOA value can't be updated.

Both phones have the same settings for Data, Location and all other I could see.
I'm on 9.0 and its working on that. Are you sure GPS is operational on your device? Does it work with Google maps? No third party software that changes the location settings? Can you connect to the KerberoSDR web interface?

mdacosta

Post by mdacosta » Wed May 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Working now!

To recap,

On the phone, Mobile (Cellular) Data needs to be OFF
GPS position: Even if Google Maps shows a position inside a building, the phone needs a clear view of the sky. I guess Google uses Wi-fi/Cell/GPS to give a position and the Kerberos App only uses the GPS.
DOA error: The DOA Enable features needs to be ON :oops:

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed May 01, 2019 11:59 pm

mdacosta wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:21 pm
Working now!

To recap,

On the phone, Mobile (Cellular) Data needs to be OFF
GPS position: Even if Google Maps shows a position inside a building, the phone needs a clear view of the sky. I guess Google uses Wi-fi/Cell/GPS to give a position and the Kerberos App only uses the GPS.
DOA error: The DOA Enable features needs to be ON :oops:
Glad to hear you got it going!

I think on some Android devices there is a setting that says if there is no internet detected on the WiFi connection, automatically disconnect the WiFi and switch to mobile data. That would screw up the connection.

The Kerberos app does indeed only use GPS for location. The other two are only for approximate locating when GPS isn't available, and you can't get a heading with those.