Page 1 of 1

Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:41 pm
by sudip
I have installed under Ubuntu 18.04 followed the steps as described under 'Installing the software on a PC/Other SBC'

Then, to test each rtl-sdrs

I switched ON the 1st DIP lever the rest OFF

Typed rtl_test -d 0 and I got the message as below:

rtl_test -t -d 0
Found 1 device(s):
0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
No E4000 tuner found, aborting.

So, -d 0 okay

Now, switched OFF the DIP and ON the 2nd DIP

Typed rtl_test -d 1 and I got the message as below:

tl_test -t -d 1
Found 1 device(s):
0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700

No matching devices found.

And so on and so forth for the device 2 and 3 but got the same above message.

My question is everything normal and fine to move ahead?

Please help me

Regards,

Sudip Kar

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 am
by rtlsdrblog
That's expected, because when you have only one SDR on, the device index will always be zero.

I would test like this:

Turn on SDR on, and test with -d 0
Turn the second one on, and test with -d 1
Turn the third one on, and test with -d 2
Turn the fourth one on and test with -d 3.

Don't turn the previous ones off when testing.

Finally, turn them all on, open four terminals and run rtl_test in each one. If they all run without errors, then you can be confident that the USB cable you're using is of good quality, and that the unit is functioning normally.

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:41 pm
by kb3cs
"-d 0" means use the first device detected

since you were only turning on one device, the one device that is on is the first device detected.

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53 pm
by sudip
Thanks a lot.... its working ....

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:12 pm
by 253flo
I noticed that my update rate is not showing, so I went to test the antennas using ./rtl_test -d 0 and the response I get is "No supported devices found." I think this is telling me my pi is not seeing the sdr. Also, I do not see the sdr when I execute lsusb. I am getting power to the sdr. Why am I not seeing the SDR and how do I fix this so my pi see's the sdr?

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 am
by myke
253flo wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:12 pm
I noticed that my update rate is not showing, so I went to test the antennas using ./rtl_test -d 0 and the response I get is "No supported devices found." I think this is telling me my pi is not seeing the sdr. Also, I do not see the sdr when I execute lsusb. I am getting power to the sdr. Why am I not seeing the SDR and how do I fix this so my pi see's the sdr?
Base on post with similar in that the SDR is not communicating or functioning properly. It seemed that their power supply was not capable of producing a MINIMUM of 3 AMP. Also, those too had power on light indication. Try turning off all SDRs but ID 0 (only 1) and test as indicated in preceding posts. By turning off all but one you lower power requirements... Possibly not your problem - but a very good place to start!!!

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:23 pm
by 253flo
I’m fairly confident the sdr is getting the power it needs, the power light is on. I did swap out my usb cablefrom the pi to the sdr and that fixed my issue of the pi seeing the sdr. I must have been using a power only usb cable. Separately, I swapped out my power cable on my pi as well and that did the trick.

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 am
by rtlsdrblog
Turn off 1 or 2 SDRs using the DIP switch and run rtl_test again. See if it works. If it does that that pretty much confirms that your power supply isn't doing a good enough job.

Re: Testing the 4 rtl- sdrs

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 am
by myke
Thought I would post this here as it is similar in how the SDRs communicate with the raspberry pi. I noticed today I was having some strange results with my Kerberos and when I test each radio this is the results ONLY for d 0

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ rtl_test -t -d 0
Found 4 device(s):
  0:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 001
  1:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 002
  2:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 003
  3:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 004

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.
The other 3 all test with expected results as follows:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ rtl_test -t -d 1
Found 4 device(s):
  0:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 001
  1:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 002
  2:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 003
  3:  RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 004

Using device 1: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6 
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
No E4000 tuner found, aborting.
I have just began to test... maybe this is already explained some place in which case I will edit. Just thought someone might have a similar experience and benefit from the post... as I explore this problem.... of course I will take any suggestion!!!

edit:
Only had time for a few test - my money is on low supplied power... seemed things had been work rather well. However, as stated - strange results today. A big take away here is that after I switch off all and brought them up one at a time ... all responses were as expected. The error shown was only if the unit powers up with all switches on - as would be normal configuration.... SO, BAD CABLE / SAGGING POWER SOURCE!!!!