KerberosSDR as a simple RTL-SDR replacement tuner? Seriously.

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
StandingWave

Re: KerberosSDR as a simple RTL-SDR replacement tuner? Seriously.

Post by StandingWave » Sat May 11, 2019 6:35 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 am
Remember that at it's core the KerberosSDR is four RTL-SDR dongles.

So it can certainly be used as four independent RTL-SDR dongles without any issue, and it will work on Windows too.

You don't need to do anything special. Just plug it in and treat it like four RTL-SDR dongles connected to your system.

EDIT: I just added a sticky post to the forum that shows how to program the EEPROMS on board the KerberosSDR. Certain programs might expect a serial number, so it can be set via the EEPROM.
Thank you! :geek:

I also need to apologize for my lengthy commentaries, it's just that when the unit did not come with any clear instructions, i.e. some forum posts & pages RTL-SDR, AFAIR, "clearly" pointed out that "KSDR only runs on Linux as for now". Thus, I was thinking of being rather safe than sorry and asking before I start flashing the EEPROM with just the vague clues that I previously had.

Oh boy, can't wait to plug the KSDR into the RF aether! *Straaangeerss in the niiightt....*

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm

StandingWave wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:35 am
rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 am
Remember that at it's core the KerberosSDR is four RTL-SDR dongles.

So it can certainly be used as four independent RTL-SDR dongles without any issue, and it will work on Windows too.

You don't need to do anything special. Just plug it in and treat it like four RTL-SDR dongles connected to your system.

EDIT: I just added a sticky post to the forum that shows how to program the EEPROMS on board the KerberosSDR. Certain programs might expect a serial number, so it can be set via the EEPROM.
Thank you! :geek:

I also need to apologize for my lengthy commentaries, it's just that when the unit did not come with any clear instructions, i.e. some forum posts & pages RTL-SDR, AFAIR, "clearly" pointed out that "KSDR only runs on Linux as for now". Thus, I was thinking of being rather safe than sorry and asking before I start flashing the EEPROM with just the vague clues that I previously had.

Oh boy, can't wait to plug the KSDR into the RF aether! *Straaangeerss in the niiightt....*
The main intended use of the KSDR is for coherent experiments, so the part about Linux only was probably referencing the fact that the coherent software we've made for the KSDR is Linux only.

StandingWave

Post by StandingWave » Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
The main intended use of the KSDR is for coherent experiments, so the part about Linux only was probably referencing the fact that the coherent software we've made for the KSDR is Linux only.
Thanks for clarifying that, and; although I've got the unit to work now in both my Win7/64bit and on my Raspbian Stretch Linux running on RPi3B+, I'm still experiencing a few issues.

First of all, it seems that there's a clutter in the USB lane somewhere whenever I'm using the KSDR as multiple RTL-SDR's, even if it's just two of them. Whereas with my Win7/64bit desktop PC I can easily use 2x RTL-SDR.com's USB dongles in a simultaneous real-time dual setup without any audio playback problems while running SDR-Console v3, and doing so with higher sample rates/bandwidths than on the KSDR.

However, trying to achieve a similar setup to the 2xRTL-SDR USB dongles with just the KerberosSDR - even with low resolutions and over a USB3 connection - is not working properly. On a KDSR setup equivalent to the two-dongle RTL-SDR setup, and with two of the receivers switched OFF using the DIP switches, the audio is constantly being cut on and off in a fast pace.

It sounds like an audio buffer/processor underrun to me, although there seems to be no problems related to CPU/GPU/RAM etc usage. The frequency of the audio cut-outs [as in; their tempo], a.k.a. "audio ouput glitch tremolo" seems to be related to the selected sampling bandwidth of each of the units. However, tweaking any of the SDRCv3's settings doesn't really help.

So, as for now, I can only get the KSDR to run without any audio cutouts on the Win7/64bit PC by using only one single RTL-SDR out of its four built-in tuners. If I enable just two of them simultaneously (using two SDRConsole v3 instances), the troubles start immediately. I'm unsure exactly where the problem is -- in limitations to hardware capabilities (either in the KSDR or in my PC), a driver problem, a limitation in USB3.x lane's packet handling or what. With 2x RTL-SDR dongles, the same kind of setup worked just fine, and there was still plenty of CPU+GPU+RAM to play with.

I have not yet managed to calibrate the device on my RPi3B+ Linux box, I'm wondering if that could be a factor [does the KSDR sync calibration save some settings into the KSDR? Since there are no documentations/schematics/flowcharts etc on its inner workings, it's a bit hard for me to tell].

As for the Linux box on my RPi3B+, I got the KSDR working using a single tuner with various available SDR software, but I'm still having some issues when I'm trying to run KerberosSDR's audio noise source calibration. Will have to keep looking into both of those issues.

If anybody has some ideas on what could be the cause for the audio problems (very similar to these, btw: viewtopic.php?t=592 ), please let me know. All help highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

kb3cs

Post by kb3cs » Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 pm

there's a world of difference between the USB hardware implementation on the RPi3B+ and pretty much any other computer. did you know the RPi shares the same bus for USB and the Ethernet port? It's best not to expect too much from the RPi and do lots of testing before setting your hopes too high. may I turn your attention to an Odroid-N2 instead?