Booting up the KerberosSDR with RPi 3B+

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
smigs

Booting up the KerberosSDR with RPi 3B+

Post by smigs » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am

Apologies for my naive question. I was able to successfully flash the .img file to an SD card which is now in my RPi. Additionally I am able to connect to the WiFi hotspot and use the web browser to see all the settings of the KerberosSDR.

The one thing I am wondering though is I noticed my RPi does not display anything on my monitor. I’m assuming this happens for everyone using an RPi since noobs isn’t installed on the SD card? If this is the case how do I install the drivers and software etc mentioned in the beginning of the QuickStart guide while still keeping the same SD card, with the Kerberos image, loaded on the Pi?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Booting up the KerberosSDR with RPi 3B+

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue May 07, 2019 4:13 am

On the KerberosSDR image, the software is already installed, there is no need to install the software again.

The HDMI should work, I have tested it on two HDMI monitors. Can I know the specs of your monitor? I've heard of at least one other person that the HDMI output is not working for, so it might be a bug.

Otherwise you can connect to the desktop GUI via VNC using the details on the guide.

kb3cs

Post by kb3cs » Tue May 07, 2019 10:52 am

Code: Select all

$ grep -i hdmi /boot/config.txt 
# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1
# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
#hdmi_drive=2
# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
#config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

smigs

Post by smigs » Wed May 08, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks for the replies and help. I was using an older Acer monitor (which happened to connect to my RPi3B+ running NOOBS) with no problem, but I switched over to a more modern Dell monitor and now my HDMI problem no long exists. If you would like more specs I can provide them in a follow-on reply.

I do have another issue however. While following the quickstart guide I ran

sudo apt-get update
and saw there were 172 packages that needed upgrading. Wasn't sure if I should have upgraded in retrospect but I did. Afterwards, I continued following the directions but got hung up running

pip3 install peakutils
The error message I received is a MemoryError one. it's below

[email protected]:~ $ pip3 install peakutils
Collecting peakutils
  Using cached https://www.piwheels.org/simple/peakutils/PeakUtils-1.3.2-py3-none-any.whl
Collecting numpy (from peakutils)
Collecting scipy (from peakutils)
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 353, in run
    wb.build(autobuilding=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 749, in build
    self.requirement_set.prepare_files(self.finder)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 620, in _prepare_file
    session=self.session, hashes=hashes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 821, in unpack_url
    hashes=hashes
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 659, in unpack_http_url
    hashes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 853, in _download_http_url
    stream=True,
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 501, in get
    return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 386, in request
    return super(PipSession, self).request(method, url, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 488, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/sessions.py", line 609, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/adapter.py", line 37, in send
    cached_response = self.controller.cached_request(request)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/controller.py", line 111, in cached_request
    resp = self.serializer.loads(request, cache_data)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/serialize.py", line 114, in loads
    return getattr(self, "_loads_v{0}".format(ver))(request, data)
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/serialize.py", line 182, in _loads_v2
    cached["response"]["body"]
  File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/serialize.py", line 26, in _b64_decode_bytes
    return base64.b64decode(b.encode("ascii"))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/base64.py", line 88, in b64decode
    return binascii.a2b_base64(s)
MemoryError
[email protected]:~ $

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed May 08, 2019 11:52 am

Are you running other programs on this Pi3? Looks like its simply running out of RAM.

I Googled that error and someone recommends using the --no-cache-dir flag with pip:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/294 ... matplotlib

What version of Raspbian are you using? When installing it on my Pi3B+ I never encountered this error.

And furthermore, why are you going through the installation procedure? I thought from your initial post that you used our ready to use img file?

kb3cs

Post by kb3cs » Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
echo the next is important after many packages upgraded
sudo systemctl reboot

smigs

Post by smigs » Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 am

I appreciate you poking around and looking up my error.

I suppose I just got confused with how the QuickStart guide was worded. I was under the impression that after getting the .img file that I also had to go through further installations. Thank you for clearing that up