Wifi control is it possible?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
g4jnw

Wifi control is it possible?

Post by g4jnw » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:10 am

Have been a radio ham for a long time but i have a disability at the moment that stops me getting into the shack (ruptured vertebral disc) so i get on the air with a thumbdv dongle which gets me on D-star but I wanted to also listen to shortwave so have a RTL-SDR box on its way.

As i have a reasonable long wire antenna I have also ordered a connector and started to think what would be ideal is if i get a friend to link it up to my antenna system and then remotely control the SDR by wifi.

I have thought of 2 ways, 1 is to link the sdr to an old laptop and use some pc-pc remote software if thats possible or get a cheap raspberry pi and do the same.

Has anyone done this over wifi rather than over the internet, my internet is slow so i guess the lag would be unusable.

OR is there another way i haven't thought of?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Wifi control is it possible?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:00 am

There are a few options. The most reliable would be to use the SDR-Console server on your remote laptop. Another option is to use rtl_tcp on a Rpi and SDR#.

But note that you will need a very good WiFi connection as there is a significant amount of data coming from the SDR. You may need to reduce the sample rate if your connection is suffering.

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 am

Have been experimenting with my old sony viao laptop and may have come up with a partial option but not ideal.
I do d-star and as i haven't got my SDR yet (its taking ages to come) I thought i would try and play about with that.

The easiest option was to use Teamviewer but as far as i know it can only be used over the internet.

I managed to put my laptop upstairs and plug in my D-star dongle and work it from downstairs via the internet.

Now if that would work over wifi it would be ideal, still looking.

Not sure what SDR-Console server is have you a link as I've searched on google and can't find it.

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:47 am

Have got SDR console running and the server software running too and it works really well, is there a way of doing the same with HDSDR or is the SDR server software linked to console only?

Im running the server on a remote windows laptop and the console running on my later windows 10 laptop

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:19 am

The SDR Console server will only work with SDR Console.

I've never tried remote with HDSDR, but I think it might be possible with something called BorIP, thought that might be Linux only. Google for BorIP and rtl-sdr and you should hit some results.

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:28 am

thanks will look at that